Paperless logs

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Road Dog, Sep 24, 2006.

1. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Wrong. While that *was* correct, we no longer have an exemption and are 100% compliant with the EOBR standard. The current "exemption letter" (as werner still calls it) we carry is basically along the lines of "Werner's exemption was NOT renewed because their system is now compliant with 395.15". I'll get you a link later i dont feel like it now. Still not sure why you brought that up?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/2117288/

Learn something new every day; however, based on your comments I'm not 100% convinced.

Be safe.

4. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    The link you posted did not work for me.

I looked up in the employee handbook, and it shows an old letter, which gave an exemption expiring in 2008. docket number is FMCSA-2003-15818 http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/rulemakings/rules2004.htm ..this confirms what you said, however it is EXPIRED. Interstingly, this particular truck has the same letter in the permit book. LOL. The permit book for the daycab i drove is where i saw the new one, but we dont have to carry it because its not an exemption anymore.

Notice that there is no record of one that is not expired, however. Now, you would THINK that the letter from 2008 denying werner an exemption bercause they dont need it, would be publically accessible on fmcsa's website, but ...its not.

Anyway, the exemption expiring in 08 was based on the fact that werner was using GPS to determine total miles driven, which is not accurate, and an EOBR runs off the odometer. Our system runs off the odometer now. GPS only provides the name of the city you made a duty status change in.

I'm going to contact safety about getting a copy of the new letter. I need it incase i have to deal with a jerk of a cop :)

5. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    The last macro you should send in after changing duty status and vr is for hour recap. This will make sure that duty status has changed. Also if no signal qualcomm will light no signal light. Call logs at that time to have them note on your logs no signal and location. It will make it much easier to correct if you need to in the morning. Believe me that is expirience talking here.:yes2557:

6. jim-oh

jim-oh Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Toledo,oh
    The company I work for uses a cadec for paperless logs along with all other shippng info. I've had to go back on the log history during inspection and never got a hard time by the dot,from the comments they liked it better because it was all realtime. On the system we use their is noway we can change times,so I would'nt have any clue as to why a cop would not prefer this.sheesh, you just can never do enough for some people.

7. whodat54321

whodat54321 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Lloydminster, AB, Canada
    Prime is bringing in EOBR's to their fleet, and they're full compliance version is only with the new Omnivision head ends for the Qualcomm system. The scale cops that are not liking it are mainly ones that haven't had the training on how to receive a fax of your real time logs.

THEY ARE NOT VALID IN CANADA. You still have to have a 14 day paper log to run up north of the border. Until FMCSA makes policy for ALL CARRIERS nationally, Transport Canada is not bound by the NAFTA treaties to move to accept them.

8. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City

Were switching over to the new system as well this year and I brought this up to someone in safety about using a paper log to cover yourself or just use as a back up, and I was told that I would get in trouble for using two logbooks!! I need to ask a DOT officer on this one I guess.

9. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    I'm curious on what carriers are paperless already or will be by the end of 2010?

I know England, Central are already and Knight, Prime are starting now. Oh ya, and Werner.

And how exactly does DOT check this from the truck? Do they walk out to my truck and look at the QLCOM?

10. jeepkid7998

jeepkid7998 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Albany, Oregon
    This guy hit the nail on the head. ALWAYS be sure your message went through before you turn in for the night. If your a werner driver always double check by sending a macro 49 to see what line u are currently on.

Also some more advise coming from a fellow werner driver. Logs is really starting to look hard at the time Macro 46's are sent in. Lets say you shut down. And if it's before midnight you send your macro 46 first thing. Dont! Send a macro 8 and put yourself on line 1 first. Wait 15 min THEN send a macro 46 and put yourself on 1 or 2. They are really starting to look hard to see if people are taking atleast 15 min to do a post trip.

11. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I've worked here for 3 months, i think i know how to run the system. I knew it had no signal, there was nothing i could do about it, so i took a note of the time i chaned duty status. I've never had logs note anything in my logs before, and honestly i do what i can to not have to talk to them too much. :) They gave me no problems at all. But, the whole backing an hour of drive time up to the previous day was weird, silly, and something that i shouldnt have done. I'm really trying to understand how that even happened. Even if i had logs make a note of anything, it wouldve still wasted multiple messages to fix that... :p

I knew the message didnt go through. What am i supposed to do? The rest area had a lot of trees. Nothing i could do to make the message go through. As far as 15 mins to do a post trip: oh, really? o_O

Even if you have the ability to fax on demand 15 days of paperless on paper? Werner specifically claims ours is legal in canada because of that.

That depends on the officer. With werner's system, he can get up to 15 days of logs sent to the qcom with a qcom macro, or he can get up to 15 days of logs faxed to any fax number by a qcom macro. We even have a special laminated instruction sheet if he doesnt know what hes doing (or he can just ask you to do it). Most officers dont even bother to check them because they think we cant cheat them. They can also call logs and get them sent (.....if you dont have a signal at the weigh station, LOL)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.