Parallel Parking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dennisroc, Oct 22, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I've had to do it several times a day, depends on what kind of work you are doing and where.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well I was pretty good at it until I just read all these posts. Now I don't think I can do it.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I think Volvo is working on an automatic parallel park system, be out next year,,:biggrin_25523:

FlaSwampRat and Milr72 Thank this.
  5. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    I know what you mean by being set up to look stupid! They told me I needed to double clutch when shifting but I didn't fall for that, I knew that other peddle was the brake! LOL

201 Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    To be quite candid...

Parallel parking in CDL school. They had lines painted on the pavement. Indicators of where to stop. Where to turn the wheel. Then proceed. yadda yadda ... it was too easy.
    I was a student that took all of this remedial stuff easily. I didn't waste others time. Would get things done quick.
    So one day I decided to actually use some class time to learn something. On backing lane change and parallel parking. I got out. Looked things over. Tried to imagine reality. To try to actually get it down to learn something. Then....
    The idiot instructor had to interrupt. "Three points of contact getting in and out!" As if that was the only thing important. Nobody, including the teachers used three points of contact the entire time getting in and out. It was just an interruption to my actually learning.
    Now.... I have to really think and try to figure it out if I were to parallel park. I avoid it.
    I admit. I have the time and opportunity to practice it if I need to. Haver in each job I've had.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Treat the trailer like a whole 4 wheeler car, your entire tractor just like the front axle of a car.

Fit box into space then clean up with your tractor.

Ive learned parrallel in school and managed it when necessary several times in life with a TT. Its not a activity I enjoy doing. The main thing is that rear drive axle in the spot mirror not being allowed to climb curbing or escape a line etc. And the right front corner of your tractor.

Hopefully you can get it all shoehorned in there before the trailer tries to itself escape the curb side on the right as well as back out of your space with the tandems going into the right lane you are backing from.

anything else? I dont put into words, it depends on the truck and trailer.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Excellent! Excellent!

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Seems like its something like this, Pull forward till you rear tandem in centered on the cone, stop turn your wheels all the way to the left back up till you can just see the trailer landingear appear in your right mirror, stop. crank your wheel hard the other way and back up till something ( I forget) lines up, then do something else.

I can do it, but like alot of things at this age I just cant remember how, like nike " just do it".

FlaSwampRat and Dreazz75 Thank this.
  10. Dreazz75

Dreazz75 Light Load Member

May 3, 2019
    @

11. Dreazz75

Dreazz75 Light Load Member

May 3, 2019
    @blairandgretchene will u give me a formula on the offset alley taking test next week husband is training

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.