Parasitic Draining From Power Windows Circuit.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 4lane, Jan 31, 2018.

1. 4lane

4lane Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I've been having problems with batteries draining quickly from a 2007 Freightliner Columbia. I tested the voltage at all of the fuses and circuit breakers with the key switch off. I found the right side window was drawing .5 volts, and the left side was drawing about 10.8 volts. Each window appears to have it's own 15 amp circuit breaker. I did not find voltage at any of the other fuses or circuit breakers. I assumed a relay had gone bad but I couldn't find any relay marked for the circuit. I removed all of the relays that weren't marked for any particular circuit, but still had voltage at the power window circuit breakers. Does anyone know exactly which relay is attached to the power window circuit? What else should I check? Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    what kind of amperage draw do u have from the batteries, not volts amps disconnect the breakers to verify that the draw is coming from the window, if verified remove connector from motor and check if not remove switch connection proccess of elimination.

4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Respectfully, if you're telling us that a circuit is drawing volts (circuits don't draw volts), then that tells me that you'd be best served to just pay a professional to diagnose this particular issue.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    First is the alternator warm after the truck has been parked for hours.
    If not disconnect all the negative battery cables. Connect a test light between between a cable and a battery. The light must use a filament bulb, something that draws a bit of current. Even a tail light but no LED's. Pull the fuses, circuit breakers and relays one at a time. When the light goes out you have found the circuit to chase.

Many of the new electronic devices use a small amount of current in order maintain memory and such. Those can trip you up.
    Saw one once that if power was disconnected from the batteries the draw stopped. Had to have the test light connected between one of the other battery post and cables before the last one was disconnected. Then the light came on and circuit was found as explained.

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    If the batteries are being depleted in a short amount of time, then he either has bad batteries, a weak alternator, or a very, very high current draw.

He could also have severe corrosion at the battery terminals causing a high resistance that's not allowing the batteries to charge properly.

OP is not qualified to diagnose this issue without assistance from a hands-on technician.

7. 4lane

4lane Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Thanks for the replies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.