Parking and hometime issues with May

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Voyager1968, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Just about everything is over 30 miles from my house lol.:biggrin_2559:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mrfasttrack

Mrfasttrack Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Georgia
    Sorry have to do it.. Ohhhh trucker Steve when you going to make another video..:biggrin_25523:

4. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks Steve for taking the time to reply. As I pointed out in a different thread, however, I moved in a different direction from May. As you know, if you're doing a job search, you will apply at more than one company. I did, and a local OTR private fleet that is located 8 miles from my house called.

I interviewed, road tested, and was offered the position the very same day. We are paid by the hour for all time logged on line 3 and 4 and if we are laid over away from the house we are paid for 8 hours at our hourly rate.

There is some driver unloading as we haul our own product, but we can choose to hire lumpers as well, especially on back haul freight. Overall, it's something I couldn't refuse as it's a small family run company, I don't have to worry about finding a secure place to park for hometime, and I don't have to worry about crappy mileage weeks.

Be safe, and perhaps we can meet up on the road sometime in the future.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Steve,

Who'd ya go with? Fox up in Hometown? Inquiring Frackville minds were wondering...:biggrin_2559:

6. Stringer

Stringer Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Colfax, CA
    Trucker Steve, Hey i enjoy reading your posts! You got a head on your shoulder and can tell you get the industry. Not like the guys sittin at the buffet #####en they got no freight.
    Im hoping i get to meet up with you soon, Starting at May in a couple weeks as a O/O
    Keep up the good posts and the youtube #####, love it!!

7. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az

Thank you brother trucker, that means a lot to me. I'm not your typical driver that is for sure. Welcome to May Trucking Company - My family!

8. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have gone with May.

I should have seen it coming since the company doesn't use E-Z Pass or Pre Pass, has loose leaf logs, and clocks in and out via cell phone text message, but that should tell you all what goes on. They have no real regard for hours of service. Sure I could have stood my ground and ran legal, but with a small company of 30 trucks, how long would I have lasted? I would have been branded as not being a team player and probably weeded out or dismissed outright.

Guys I talked with loading at the same facility I did told me they don't even think about the log book. They do it the old school way, drive and deliver, then make it look good when they are done, and the company is ok with this.

I don't and won't run that way. I value my CDL, my family, and the lives of those I share the road with. I guess maybe not all of the mom and pop or private fleets are good. For now, I found a job with a coal hauler running a tri-axle dump truck. I may stay with it for awhile but I don't know yet. I just need to find a company that truly believes in running legal.

Sadly, I probably burned the May bridge when my recruiter called to set up an orientation date and I told her I had found the other job.

9. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Call her back, won't hurt to try.

10. Stringer

Stringer Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Colfax, CA
    Voyager: :biggrin_25525:Who was that, what company? Id drive for them, loose leaf logs are the ticket... these computer logs are killing our income potential. Only drivers ok with them are dedicated, drop and hook or drivers ok with 400 a week. If you been out on the road for any lenth of time knows that the only way to get 2500 plus a week is running til your out of hours then throwing the coloring book out and starting a new one. im more safe runniing that way then the typical swift driver running 200 miles a day
    just my opinion

11. justawheelholderfornow

justawheelholderfornow Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    The Bank
    FWIW, I was told by Jennifer today that I would be able to drive my truck home. I live outside Jacksonville, and would be working from their Pensacola terminal if hired.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.