Parking Shortage. How it affects you?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by lschorer, Jan 28, 2019.

1. lschorer

lschorer Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Hello!

I have been researching a lot about the overnight/long term parking shortage across the country, but want to hear from those that experience it on a daily basis. So, I have two simple questions that I would love feedback on:

1. How does the parking shortage affect you? What costs do you see because of it?
    2. How do you deal with it?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Reason for edit: updates
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Start your day early (predawn) so you can end it early and there is no parking shortage.

doc43204, Opus, drvrtech77 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Very true that’s what I do to the best of my ability but appointments sometimes do interfere.

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  5. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Besides starting to drive predawn another option is to pull into a truck stop and sleep during the day and drive all night. I prefer the first option start predawn.

lschorer Thanks this.
  6. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    The start your day, end early trick is becoming start your day earlier and earlier anymore.
    Yes, there is a parking shortage.
    It's a coin flip running your clock out after 7pm. It adds unneeded stress when you're down to 30 on your clock and getting off exits to truck stops and driving thru rest stations only to find out that's there's no place to park.
    You can't help but start thinking that you'll have to park on the side of a ramp, leave your truck running all night and have your marker lights on... My backup plan is finding a Walmart and slip in there.
    It costs me cash some days because I shut down earlier rather than running a extra 75-100 miles because I don't have the confidence in finding a spot at Love's, Pilot, or TA.

lschorer and Just passing by Thank this.
  7. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Go to bed at 4 PM and start your shift at 2 am... never have to worry about a parking shortage...

Ffx95, lschorer and otterinthewater Thank this.
  8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Start early. Don't stop more than the 30 minute break, if possible. Use Google maps and trucker path apps to look for overnight parking BEFORE you even start driving. I always plan on 50 mph/day.

drvrtech77, O.Henry and lschorer Thank this.
  9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Start at noon, run late. One of those who does the opposite will be pulling out of a prime spot to start their day when your day is done.

bryan21384 and lschorer Thank this.
  10. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    I brake on the fuel island. Put the hose into the tanks like your fueling and Set the brakes and jump into the sleeper. If there a big whoopedy doo about it. Put ur flashers on and pop the hood.

JadeLove, D.Tibbitt, lschorer and 3 others Thank this.
  11. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I just park next to the scales 3-deep or double up next to others who are also double parked.

D.Tibbitt, lschorer, stwik and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.