parking skills

Discussion in 'Marten' started by dca, May 26, 2014.

1. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    because sometimes the moron blocking the lane won't come to the door.

had a similar occurrence at that tiny rest area on 64 going into wv from va at about midnight with a full bladder. wse came in, couldn't get a spot, so he made a spot in the exit lane beside the last spot where there wasn't one and pulled his curtains. I roll through there for a bathroom stop and then can't get out because he has the exit lane blocked. beat on his truck for a good 10 minutes and nobody home. ended up having to wake up the guy parked in what was actually the last spot and after apologizing for waking him up, showed him why and asked if he could pull up enough to let me out. it was still really tight, only inches between his trailer and mine to get by. he was gracious about it and said no problem. then added he was going to be there for about 24 and the other guy probably wouldn't be going anywhere either once I got out lol don't know what he did but sure would like to know.

even with the best planning sometimes we all find ourselves in a bad spot from time to time but geez there is just no #### common sense anymore. this guy knew full well when he blocked that lane the next truck to come in wouldn't be able to get out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Yeah, have to grab parking spot late is a challenge for sure and you'll see some crazy parking when it's crowded - which it will be if it's late.

4. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Yep.. a brillant stop.. silly me

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    There's been times ive been woke up by drivers because of some guy that's parked where he shouldn't be.Of course I tell the driver that woke me up to wake the guy in his way up and went back to bed.Its not fair to the one legally parked.But there are exceptions,if the driver is cute I just may be more then happy to move for him,lol.

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Everything goes out the window after 10:00 pm. People go in, get stuck, and just "park it" right there.

7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Ok, So because the "moron" who is parked where he shouldn't be wont answer the door you then decide to go interrupt the driver who is parked perfectly legal sleep? Who is the moron now?

8. flyingmusician

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    nice answer for someone who wasn't there and in the situation.

if I'd have had more time I'd have called someone with a little more authority than me to get him up or get him towed out. I guess you'd rather have 2 trucks blocking the lane at the point.

always a holier than thou supertrucker around with all the answers when you need one.

so tell us all in your infinite wisdom and experience how you would have gotten the guy up and moved when he wouldn't come to the door and you've got somewhere to be with the clock running?

9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Pulled in to use the jug and go not to park... expected to at least pull thru

Regardless.. you are corrrect.. i shouldnt have stopped at all.. it probably will never change

pattyj Thanks this.
  10. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011

I'm not a super trucker but I certainly am not an ignorant one... I would have called the police if I couldn't get ahold of marten... Clock running or not the problem is between you and Marten not someone who is parked in a proper slot... I'm sure the flat bed has somewhere to be at some point and time and doesn't need someone banging on his door while he is sleeping.

11. flyingmusician

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    well i will defer to my elders on this point then and apologize to everyone in that rest area that night for having to pull in to take a piss a trying to find an actual facility to do it in rather than a jug or the side of the road.

that said, it was awhile ago, and what I look at now as a newbie mistake with only 6 months in the seat when it happened. that particular rest area is a tiny one and the tightness of which I wasn't aware of at the time having never been in there. one of those places I have since learned you don't ever try to pull into that time of night. at that particular point in time the only thing I was concerned about was my about to explode bladder.

I agree, the other guy should have gotten up as opposed to the one that had to get up. I made every attempt to get him up short of breaking his windows out. I've been on the other side of it and been gotten up and asked to move because of similar situations or even in some tight truckstops where there just isn't enough room to get out in front of the truck and sliding my tandems back in the parking spot allowed me to back off enough the guy in front of me could make the turn out. it wasn't nice but it happens.

there just isn't a good solution to the problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.