Parksmart, good, bad ???

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, May 4, 2012.

1. carrkool

carrkool Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2012
    adah, pa
    i just idle my truck...........................................

RizenPhoenix Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Good info TN, I well be be looking at doing something similar in the future, the heat side of my P/S works well with no problems, but the A/C side has been a bear.

I may very well look into your setup as I already have the battery's and the trucks ARE WELL insulated, I will give them that. Biggest down side will be for the lazy drivers that now just set a thermostat to a desired number and the unit takes care of the rest, that is if it is working!

Stan

4. Robtail

Robtail Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Great response from everyone. Thank you. The local Freightliner salesman just brought in a 2013 Cascadia for us to look at with the ParkSmart unit. We currently run TriPac apu's with Wabasco diesel fired heaters. We're just waiting for an economical/user friendly and durable option to become available and it doesn't sound like the ParkSmart is the answer.

Thanks again,
    Rob

5. zrock333

zrock333 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Vero Beach, Fl.
    Google it. I did and there's lots. Park Smart battery powered APU.

6. zrock333

zrock333 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Vero Beach, Fl.
    Try wws.teamrunsmart.com/articles and www.truckingefficiency.org

7. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Bad.

Just bad.

8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Good luck dealing directly with the vendor. It is not hard to identify who made the parts, but when I tried to get a cab jack pump from Power Packer in Wisconsin they told me anything with a Freightliner part # on it is a proprietary part and they could only sell them to Freightliner. Soooo, a pump that they sell to Freightliner for about $300 winds up in the parts whse in Memphis costing $1800. They couldn't even tell me who could rebuild them without getting in a contractual dispute with Freightliner.
    I am going outside the OEM as much as possible for that reason..

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    park smart is junk, knowit from my experience. if you don't want to spend money on apu buy Honda generator, small a/c unit 110v and airtronic/webasto.

10. cfburkkett67

cfburkkett67 Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2015
    I use to drive a 2011 Cascadia with the Park Smart system on it and I absolutely loved it.I can tell ya this,it froze my ### out in the summer time when I was in Georgia and it roasted me out in the winter time. I am buying 4 new Cascadias this year with the Park Smart system on them. I highly recommend it

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  11. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I have come to the conclusion that the later ParkSmarts (condenser/fan setup on back of cab) are doing well, and better every year newer you go, however the earliest ones like my 2010 (built in 2009) with the condenser/fan under the sleeper will always have issues.

At this point I would probably order a new truck WITH ParkSmart, BUT, I would sell it before I had to put an alt. on it, or carry a spare in the truck, on the road it is 2,000.00 to replace that alt.!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.