Partial rejected load, how would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Jan 22, 2021.

1. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Why didn’t any one say that he never should have left the receiver’s property? First mistake in my humble opinion. Otherwise he did well.

bzinger and IH Truck Guy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Right here:
    And I agree. Much easier for them to blow you off when it's no longer their problem.

bigguns and 650cat425 Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    No. They say out, you go out.
    When I refused to leave the Meijer DC dock in Newport, MI per my boss demand back then, they threatened to call police.

5. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Frankly, I am happy for Steve but there is nothing heroic about what he did. Just did his job per book. What else could he have done, since he was left with two pallets of perishables? The worst thing would have been to dump it right away - a good product with a substantial value. Of course, you need to wait a few hours, even a day before doing anything on your own, otherwise you are a subject for an easy claim. You don't dump any product worth at least a few grand to a nearby dumpster...Someone will want to get paid for it, eventually.
    Every o/o responsibility is to mitigate the situation or else it is directly affecting you. Perhaps some idiot from C.R. England, Werner or Swift would have just left with a smile on the face but we know better, don't we?

Coffey Thanks this.
  6. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    What i said was no distance. In case it's taken care of soon. When we could still be on the dock (BC LOL) as soon as the last pallet was pulled off you would pull the truck a few feet ahead. Then it's between them and the shipper.

bigguns Thanks this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    As gunny Sargent of the marines would say looks like another typical cluster ####. Marine you need to improvise, adapt and overcome all obstacles in all situations. And you will win the battle eventually.

bigguns Thanks this.
  8. Oakland Raiders Forever

Oakland Raiders Forever Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2020
    Your in a wonderful spot. You were given 2 pallets of product free of charge , you now own it.

Find a food donation center and make yourself feel good by helping the less intelligent.

If the shipper does want the product back you stated your price.

You possessing is 9/10 of the law.

aussiejosh Thanks this.
  9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I haven't ran into this, and I haven't walked in your shoes that day. But I always figured them calling the cops would be a good thing. Then you can both explain what's going on, and the cops can tell the guy to wait until the issue gets resolved. At least that's how I imagine it in my imaginative perfect world.

bigguns Thanks this.
  10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    It wouldn’t quite work that way. Legally the receiver could have you trespassed if you refused to leave the property.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I did not want to be an a-hole there just stalled on time for as long as I could. The receiving lady got irritated as someone else was lined up for that dock and I wanted to obey my boss's orders. I finally realized that it was a stupid game and behavior on my part so I left the premises but waited right out the gate. I guess cops would've just ordered me to leave as that was the property management wish. Rightfully so. The peaches arrived half frozen and there was nothing that could be done to magically change their condition. The owner had ####ty reefers and it was all on him. Soon after I left after he made me partially liable for the claim - he charged me deductible - 1 or 2K I don't remember but that was the last straw. I always say ever since that for produce hauling you'd better have top class equipment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.