Partnering as an o/o?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by EthanStorm, Sep 21, 2018.

1. EthanStorm

EthanStorm Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I know someone who is interested in owning a truck and partnering with me to deliver freight. I told him this sounds like he wants to own the company and have me as a driver, but he states that he would rather it be a partnership because he doesn’t know much about the trucking business. He would buy the truck. He hopes to have more than one truck somewhere down the line if things will pick up. I am just wondering if this makes much sense on my part. I have been looking into ways To be more independent and get away from working for the big companies, but I’m not sure how beneficial this would be except that he has great credit and money reserves looking to invest and would probably get a much better rate on the truck that I will be driving which would save some money and has always been the reason I did not go as an owner operator years ago. The overhead it was just too much! Wondering what thoughts you guys have about this?

If having our own authority didn’t work maybe I could still subcontract with a mega to get loads but also wondering if they prefer sole proprietors or I can still subcontract if we set up as a ‘company’ with partnership. I have a relative that is subcontracting and has added a truck to his fleet. I just always thought companies who contract with owner operators only did so individually. Seems like too much to go under another company authority when you have 3-4 trucks ??? Just wondering what type of business structure would work for most paths we might take if I move forward.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Partnerships almost NEVER work. If you did this only go under your own authority. This way you can see what it’s all about on his dime. If you partnered and leased on you wouldn’t learn much and wouldn’t make enough to make a partnership work.

If it’s a friend or family prepare to not be friends or family after time runs it’s course.

Either this or balls up and do it on your own.

86scotty and ramblingman Thank this.
  4. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I'm not an O/O, but I would suggest some type of contract from the get go to protect your ### in the event things go south. It's real easy to call it a "partnership" but if all you're doing for the most part is driving the truck, then I'm not sure what kind of stake you would have in said "partnership" unless you're throwing money in somewhere. Seems like it could end up being sketchy, to me at least. There will be more informed O/O's & fleet-owners who will chime in.

5. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    NOPE

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Once had an offer like that while doing a side job when I worked local. Helped a guy remodel whole house.Sounded good at first but soon got the picture. He would do all bidding and get the jobs all I had to do was the work!!! Partnership? Define please.Partnership with someone who doesn’t know the business? He apparently thinks you do.Some folks may think they can make more $$$ running a Truck vs Stock market or ? All said and done will probably be disappointed. Anyone Who has retired and cashed out with enough to invest will tell you it beats the Business or Rental racket or whatever they did. I would consider it a vote of Confidence, a well intended idea.Not that it’s impossible but better to be Independant.Too many obstacles to iron out while each Partner is in two different worlds.

7. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I’m gonna take the opposite side of this...

A deal like you’re describing could work, but only if you structured it properly from the beginning. There would be two distinct parties involved. Person A fronts the money and gets a return on his investment. Person B puts up no money, but brings industry experience and does the labor. Person B would get paid for his labor, plus earn an ownership stake in the company over time. Depends on what terms you can agree on, but something like 5%, 10%, or whatever per year until you reach your agreed upon ownership stake.

I’ve seen it work beautifully in the restaurant industry, and I’ve also heard plenty of horror stories. It’s risky, but if you either don’t have the ability to save up and start your own company or you’re unwilling to do so for whatever reason, then this could be a possible middle ground for you.

As for where to put the truck to work, I would suggest leasing on with Landstar. You’ll get all the benefits of being an O/O without all the paperwork, headaches, and high costs of getting your own authority. You’ll already have your hands full with the deal you’re trying to do, so keep the trucking part of it simple until you see how it’s gonna work out with your partner.

No matter what you do, you HAVE TO set this up as a corporation. Do not under any circumstances allow yourself to be personally liable by just co-signing on a truck with this other guy. You need the protection of a corporation/LLC. Talk to an accountant and an attorney to see what the best way would be for you to structure it before you get into any serious talks about moving forward.

Good luck

8. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    For me, high fixed costs in the beginning are just part of the big picture. I’m building a business here, and I’m willing to absorb the high startup costs in order to be even more profitable in the future. Once my truck is paid off it’ll be 5 years old with approximately 600,000 miles on it. At that point after making these ridiculous truck payments for 5 years I’ll have no truck payments so I can bank that extra money every month, or I’ll have a truck worth $40k that I can just sell and pocket the lump sum, or trade it in on a new truck, etc etc. If you have any interest in becoming an O/O you have to look at the future. Return on investment 5 or 10 years from now is way more important than your weekly paychecks now.

Midwest Trucker and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Run away from this crap.

This crap never works, trust me.

How do you know he has capital?

I am wondering if this is the clown who approached me in April with the same deal?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. EthanStorm

Jun 7, 2018
    Haha thanks for your concern he is a good friend of a good friend for many years and we know he is legit with the funds- now whether or not he is prepared for the startup cost of a truck is the question. Many non truckers dont know how much the big rigs cost- but I do know he has it :)

11. EthanStorm

Jun 7, 2018
    yeah you have a good point and I accept that which is why I walked away for O/O idea several times. I have a family and I know it would pay off in 5-10 years but I don't want to invest that much time or money right now so with him fronting a lot of the cost it sounds a bit more appealing. Thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.