Pasadena,CA Based and starting CRST in Feb

Discussion in 'CRST' started by gs59_20, Dec 29, 2012.

1. gs59_20

gs59_20 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I recently got accepted to TGA and will be starting with CRST in Feb of 2013 for 8 months to pay off my training. Have heard lots of horror stories,but given that I cannot afford schooling myself and seem to find no company locally that pays for school or at least trains,I have to go with what I can get. I'm just looking for suggestions on trainers as well as looking for someone to be my team driver. Someone in my area would be nice. I'm a 26 year old chill and laid back guy. Don't drink,don't smoke.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stand4112

Stand4112 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Are you interested in the 20/10 program? I am going to school in Feb. and will be looking for a co-driver(s). I am out of Sacramento, but if I can get on the 20/10, I am willing to drive the distance between home and terminal.

4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    You could do worse than CRST like CR England. I am envious you live in such a nice place.

5. gs59_20

gs59_20 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Hahaha. thanks. I'm a very patient person,VERY. After a certain point though,I just will not budge and bite my lip. After reading nothing but bad things,and I mean NOTHING BUT BAD, about crst I decided I will skip in getting my schooling paid for. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and pay for schooling myself somehow. Probably Dootson,then I'm going to apply at Schneider with my cousin for a team driver position

6. Plim-Don

Plim-Don Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2012
    Detroit
    Well good luck with that Im going with crst and as we speak im getting my 8 months out of the way . im not listening to any of the bull talk out there some people you just can't please crst has the best deal for me im working getting the experience im gonna need to work for any company out there so good luck and and happy trucking ...

Stand4112 and Troubador222 Thank this.
  7. MMM DRIVER

MMM DRIVER Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Educate yourselves first, people. You might rethink the part where you pay NOTHING for school. Other than the expenses CRST bills you for that you repay, your 8 month contract results in this... Starting at .22/mile for the team ... if you drive 5000/week as a team... (You must drive as a team with CRST.)

CRST MATH: "split the miles" first: 2500 miles X .22 = $550

(SOME) OTHER COMPANIES MATH: 5000 miles X .44 (for the team) = $2200 split that ... $1100

The difference is $550 more, working for another company each week. Granted you're not @.22 for the whole first 6 months but, to make it easy, keep it @ .22 ... that's a difference of @ $13,200 for the first 6 months ... working for CRST vs (some)other companies. That's not NOTHING. CRST is effectively paying .11/mile.

I'm very grateful for the people online here who finally explained this to me. Took me a while to get it. You can do better.

See if you can find a community college program. Your behind the wheel training @ CRST is limited to @ 20 hours. This is criminally bad. Read this post about someone else's experience -- they ended up leaving and own the company money. http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ur-experience-with-kirkwood-college-crst.html

Stay or leave -- CRST doesn't really care -- the company has you by the short hairs.

The bottom line -- do you really want to risk your life driving with someone who has had as little training as you have? That should be even more important than the money issue listed above.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Anyone who say you get paid 11 cpm does not understand how a team works.

9. mcmillgl53

mcmillgl53 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I am now just trying to decide who to go with. CRST or CR England. Help me decide.

thanks
    Glen

10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    With those being the only choices....CRST

11. MMM DRIVER

MMM DRIVER Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2012
    5000 miles X .11 = $550. I verified the math with the CRST recruiter and another recruiter at company X for the other scenario listed above.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.