Passenger seat removal ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mac2012, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I've never had anyone bother me but I've heard of some guys even getting in trouble for removing the seat belt webbing in the sleeper even though they run single just because "it came from the factory that way".
    I guess I'll cross that bridge if it ever happens.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    As long as there is no damage it "should" not be a problem for any company. But that would be asking them to be reasonable... heheheheee

I might have modified a few things in my company truck. But nothing that can not be undone in a few moments. And nothing that Safety would give me points for doing.

I have a mid-roof volvo that has very little storage compared to a double berth truck. I would love to take the passenger seat out to make room for the fridge. But I am not going to do that much work.

Lots of guys pull the seat to make room to store a bike.

Mikeeee

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That what sleepers are for.

Aamcotrans and BigByrd47119 Thank this.
  5. piston757

piston757 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    lubbock, tx
    Just wondering how would u mount a mini fridge to the seat thing or could u uninstall that piece?

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    CLTL and Matlack Company Macks circa 1970 had a 50.cal ammo box for the snow chains instead of a passenger seat and later on a custom wooden box to hold pillows and blankets for those 'across the seat' layovers...My training tractor was our only tractor with a passenger seat

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    A folding passenger seat with or without a storage box under it used to be an option on a lot of vintage trucks. My ‘72 White 4000 had one. Bottom folded up you could stand on floor and walk out the passenger door. Then that option disappeared as every seat needed to be air ride.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    4 bolts to take it out, and to disconnect the air lines to the seat and plug them off if it is an air seat. But consider this:
    If you are removing the passenger seat on a company truck, and you don't get permission, when you bring the truck in for a PM and the mechanic sees its missing, this could cause you problems

Aamcotrans, lovesthedrive and wis bang Thank this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Seriously? It's 4 bolts and the seat belt attachment bolt. Man, hope you don't need to check your oil.

10. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    My first company truck was a 2014 Kenworth T660, and I took out the passenger seat (with the approval and assistance of our mechanic) to put in a fridge. That seat was mounted on top of the battery box, and I strapped the fridge to the box. Worked great.

Santu Thanks this.
  11. piston757

piston757 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    lubbock, tx
    Can u remove that seat base that’s sticking up? Or how do u mount the mini fridge? Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.