Passing etiquette....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KeithT1967, May 17, 2014.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I most likely would have the situation worse by my laughing at him. I also would have tried to take a picture. Trucks would pass me all day long when I was loaded up and if they got all hot and bother that would be their problem. Our trucks were set to run so fast and hauling 110,000 lbs of gasoline I couldn't jump out of my own way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    I'm governed at 62. I had a dream the other night of passing someone.

4. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    A "driver" maintains an aversion to proximity to other vehicles, and doesn't measure progress in seconds and feet or fractions thereof, and doesn't dismiss "best practices" because it's not "their responsibility".

Stile Thanks this.
  5. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    Actually, time spent in "cruise" (and # of activations/deactivations) is also about safety. Even in urban areas a driver can set the cruise to the SL and easily be the slowest vehicle for miles, which is conducive if not essential to attaining and maintaining following distance.

A driver with their head well ahead of their vehicle can often if not usually travel in traffic controlling velocity with the cruise.

Aminal Thanks this.
  6. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    10. Using the cruise can be safer. In traffic, I will set the cruise and simply rest my foot on the brake pedal. The brakes do not activate or cancel the cruise. The brake light switch is activated by air and will typically activate at 3 PSI, once the circuit is broken cruise control de-activates. Once cruise deactivates my jake will kick on.

Final note, just because it's not your responsibility to slow down. On a windy day or in certain conditions, I don't want a 53' trailer next to me all day, one wrong move on their part and it can cause you to wreck. Let them get by you.

Aminal and gpsman Thank this.
  7. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Guys, if that's what they say (cruise in urbania) far be it for me to dispute it. Those safety engineers got a lot of letters behind their names so I guess they know what they're talking about there. I have always been picky about following distance. That space in front of me is MINE. I don't like other folks in it. Never have. Going a little slower than the other traffic is an old trick I've used forever to not only keep me fom having to shift up and down all the time and keep steady moving in heavy traffic but to keep MY airspace in front of me clear, but honestly it never occurred to me to use cruise in those situations. Might try it. Thanks.

See. An old dog CAN learn new tricks. You just gotta associate the new trick with an old one he already knows. LOL.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    gpsman and bergy Thank this.
  8. All-American82

All-American82 Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    First off, I take it as MY responsibility to NOT put myself, my T/T, My Livelihood, other people, Etc; in danger. So when I run into these people, I just get away from them ASAP. I don't want them anywhere near my load. YES, it's not fair, but I've just decided to NOT drive around all the time PO'd. I've decided to enjoy my drive and not get all "wrought up" over idiots!!! They're NOT gonna ruin my day! Go ahead and flip me off, Woopty-do!!! Now what???

As I see it, a few reasons are;

1. We have confused 2 words. FREEDOM and REBELLION.

FREEDOM is the ability to do whatever you want, WITH RESPONSIBILITY!!!

REBELLION is DOING whatever you want, and &(@*#$%$*@(@ YOU!!!! If you don't like it!!!

You tell me which we have in America today???

2. Driver training is "laughable" at best. Etiquette and responsibility NEVER enter the picture. Just don't hit anything big and don't burn the clutch up to badly and "CONGRATULATIONS", your a "driver"!!!

3. Low governed trucks are actually dangerous I think. ALERT!!! THIS IS MY OPINION!!! So relax. I understand the thinking behind big companies obsession with governing their T/Ts at 63 mph. But MY experience is just the opposite. I actually got and get my best mpg at around 70 mph They are NOT taking into account the big "MO". Momentum is your friend!!! If the big "MO" can let me go downhill ( I'm talking about HILLS here for all you western drivers. This is for the mid-west and eastern drivers) at 70, but my T/T is governed at 63. The problem is, is when I get to the opposite side and start my climb again. I don't care how much you try to push that accelerator thru the floor. You are in a "dead mans land" until the governor ALLOWS you to resume speed. The problem is, is NOW you are actually at a lower speed than the governed speed and you have to catch up. And have lost most or all of your momentum. And you are using fuel instead of momentum to get you up that next hill.

There are some more reasons, but, I'm sure you get the point. And Just remember, we have PURPOSELY raised people for AT LEAST the last 30 years to be selfish brats. And now we're SHOCKED (?) that they're, well, Selfish brats!!! Who would have saw that comin'???

So, Ladies and Gentleman.

Just do YOUR best, enjoy your day and let them pass. They'll weed THEMSELVES out!!!

:biggrin_255::biggrin_255::biggrin_255:

Mooose, bergy, KeithT1967 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    "Close to me" is enough conditions for me. Wrong moves can be the result of the condition of the brain, or habit.

I want everyone who wants in front of me, in front of me. Let's see them try to crash into me from there.

10. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

If I'm that dog in the pic I'm biting the livin' crap outta you when we land. Dogs, falling. Can't imagine them liking the whole thing. Maybe yours is different but my Border would be TOTALLY pee O'd at me making it fall and fly like that. LOL.

All-American82 Thanks this.
  11. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    That driver does not know how to drive his truck very well.....he should have some feel for whether he can pass on an uphill or not, and in this case "not". At the very least he should have backed off long before he got up to your cab and pulled back over to the right lane.

But when you run into a stubborn driver that doesn't know how to drive his truck, you did the right thing......and you were faultless as you were sitting in the right lane.....hopefully you don't encounter such poor drivers very often.

KeithT1967 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.