Passing etiquette....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KeithT1967, May 17, 2014.

1. Mountain Hummingbird

Mountain Hummingbird Medium Load Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I beg to differ the Cummings engine actually have better lower end torque than the detroit's and owning and actually knowing the engines are two different things. I already said the old engine had no low end torque they were horsepower only engines, high revs to get anything from them, hence the need for a lot more gears. Ill take a 2 stoke jimmy up any incline you like to go on just give me my twinsticks. The way you talk you would think that the older trucks never ventured past the flatlands of the central plaines. We use to call the jimmies Rocky Mountain Hummingbirds, please do note the resemblance to my handle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I think what flman was saying is the right name for Cummins isn't Cummings. Spellchecker likes Cummings better but it still isn't right.

The newest engines are supposed to operate efficiently at lower RPMs and with less shifting, and they don't respond to feathering like the older N-14s and Series 60s and Cats do, it doesn't seem to hurt the fuel mileage as much to just pull the hill as fast as the engine will pull it.

I remember using the cruise buttons set in the shifter knob on a 9 speed, also saw that on a few 10 speeds, and saw an attachment on 13s.

That worked pretty good, as you weren't apt to bump the buttons by mistake.

Split power was best exemplified for me with a 370/435 N-14: you did your darndest to keep the cruise engaged pulling hills because you definitely noticed that big of a drop in power and torque when the computer told the engine to drop back.

4. Mountain Hummingbird

Mountain Hummingbird Medium Load Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I remember a cable unit you could buy and attach to your linkage on the old 53's 71's and 92's it kicked off when you hit the accel peddle hard. Then again a brick worked will too.

5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If any of you have XM radio and listen to comedian Doug Stanhope, he does a halarious 3 minute bit on this very topic, ending with the statement that drivers who tie up the highway like this should die of the ebola virus bleeding from the eyes.
    What is being forgotten is we are not the owners of the highway, and the law is beyond clear on this. Keep right except to pass. And the definition of passing is in the law books of every state. It is bad enough in VA that they have signs indicating do not use the left lane at all if you cannot maintain the speed limit.
    This practice of tying up the roadway does more damage to the trucking industry image than almost any other. If you can't pass within 5280 feet at the most don't even try. And the fellow who is already smart enough to be in the right lane you are under no obligation to accomodate by slowing down and letting the jerk in. But you will do a great service to our image in the eyes of the general public if you do.

bergy Thanks this.
  6. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    I've never seen it. I assume "pass" is like "stop"; self-evident/-explanatory. Unless I'm mistaken even the old "full and complete" has been eliminated from legal language requiring a vehicle to stop, because there is no other way to stop.

Then it sounds like there is an obligation to accommodate passing traffic/jerks, a professional one.

Personally, I don't care so much about that as I do that rare commodity common sense; the longer they're there, the longer they have to crash into me. In front of me, they're going to have a very hard time crashing into me.

I think with very few exceptions we've all tried to pass when we thought it was going to be quick, then turned out we was wrong. Not much sense in assuming that isn't the case for another driver. If they are an idiot, they belong in the front, at least in my book.

7. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    ...and here I thought passing etiquette meant putting your pinkies up while executing the move...

bergy Thanks this.
  8. All-American82

All-American82 Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    Don't even get me started on the modern parent!!! :biggrin_25510::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25510: I'm not sure there's enough curse words in the world to complete how I feel about that subject.

gpsman, Mooose and bergy Thank this.
  9. All-American82

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    I just finally had to make a decision to "let it go". I have MULTIPLE chances a day to "retaliate" shall we say. And man Life's to short! I just CAN'T be P(&&#D all the time. I enjoy what I do and I drive in a mostly scenic area and I've got a good gig. I've just decided to not let some ((^%$$^^&*&^& idiot get me side tracked.

I would just be miserable. You see 'em. The guys who are perpetually PO'd. They're miserable and miserable to be around. Because they get PO'd by EVERYTHING out there on the road.

I just kick back, turn on something good that I like to listen to at the moment and let'em go. At the end of the day I just want to go home, Kiss the wife, Give the dog a "scooby Snak" and relax with a good meal and a relaxing adult beverage. :biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

Let'em go!!!

bergy and gpsman Thank this.
  10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So this what we worry about all day lol. Sounds like some our biggest problems are I cant pass him but im not really faster anyway or should i back off and let him pass me. If you think this job is hard try dealing with real problems in a job. It wasnt that long that many employed american's served and got shot at for a living (and thank any reading for their service). If these are the least of my worries then trucking rocks i love this job.

bergy Thanks this.
  11. All-American82

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    Just to clarify. That IS NOT A PICTURE OF ME!!! I AM NOT a PX Ranger!!!

That IS my old unit, But that IS NOT a picture of ME!!! I was looking at "Google Images" for pics of my old unit and saw that and said to self, "COOL !!!" So I liberated it from the internet. Just so you know.

Was with them, back in MY time. But THAT'S NOT ME!!!

God bless and protect the "All-Americans" !!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.