Pay advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nightgunner, Feb 18, 2018.

1. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I am looking to hire two new regional drivers, no I am not accepting applications yet!

Currently, I am looking at offering starting pay of $.45cpm for van and $.47+tarp for flat. I have not been a company driver in quite some time and am not familiar with current pay scales.

From those who are, or have recently been company drivers doing regional work, does this seem reasonable?
    Thanks.

x1Heavy, RedForeman and jraulpilot1998 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Depends. What additional income is there? Stop. layover, detention, benefits.......schedule also plays a factor. Regional could mean home weekly, daily, or more.

Lot more to a job than just a $.45 cents a mile.

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Have you been hiring mileage drivers thus far?

Our models are quite different, though I would consider my operation "regional" to a degree... while I have yet to find anyone worth hiring, I feel like % would be the fairest way to go. I can't offer mileage, plenty of days don't total 200 miles all in for my operation. N I wouldn't want a hourly guy wasting a bunch of his own time trying to rack up an extra $50, when he could make a lot more just running a load n going home.
    Do you have enough miles that a driver can figure on making a good weekly wage consistently?

Guess I'm asking more than answering lol sorry bout that

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Funny how all the drivers say "55 cpm should be the base!", "Nobody should run for less than 60 cpm" ... then when they change to the one signing the checks and responsible for failure or bankruptcy then the proposed cpm rates comes down considerably.

As one who has been on both sides and understands there must be a balance and a compromise and everyone must deal in reality, 45 cpm is about right in most applications assuming we're talking about a w2 employee who will be treated right and offered other benefits such as insurance and will not be screwed if a real OTJ injury occurs such as falling off a flatbed or being hit head on by a drunk motorist one night

snowwy, kylefitzy, Opus and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    That's what I am struggling with. Typically, my trucks will average 2000-2200 mi!es a week. I am also contemplating a base minimum of $1,200 or the milage, whichever is greater. For Monday through Friday, that isn't bad.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Also depends on what sort of demands and history expectations you're imposing. If you demand 6 years minimum experience last 8 years, and with clear MVR and PSP, 45 cpm is probably weak and will be an insult to most. But if you only require 1 year reccent experience, then that's different.

But for many, it's scary to leave a reputable carrier who's not going anywhere for a small operator who may or may not be around in 9 months ... for the same pay??

8. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    It is a W2 position. I am currently researching medical insurance options on the market (having a heart attack at the rates) and am offering a 401k after 90 days.

Lepton1, snowwy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I do require 2 years recent verifiable experience. Financially I am sound, previously I paid straight % vut got tired of hearing it wasn't fair they didn't get paid empty. Average loaded pay was $.63 and after the empty time, guess what? It came out to about $.45 on all miles.

ladr and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    If there is ever layover, I am not doing my job! Detention, $15/hr after 2 hrs. Stop pay, $20 additional stops (exclude 1st and last). $40 for tarp. Home weekends, possibly a night or two during the week depending on how the loads work out.

Oxbow and 06driver Thank this.
  11. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Ive heard through the grape vine that that is what a few other big flatbed carriers are starting at.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.