Pay advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nightgunner, Feb 18, 2018.

1. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    So it's not too far off then....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Correct. I don't like to guarantee a minimum. It has caused me nothing but headaches in the past. But I do so now just have one but its way lower than what your suggesting. I want guys to hustle. Why push it if you're gonna make 1200 a week regardless? Make that minimum much lower and you'll figure out who wants to work real quick

ladr, dunchues, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Walmart is paying .38 cpm mile now.
    And I know you don't have 600 trillion dollars in
    The bank like they do.
    .45cpm is fine.
    If you want to give them a few more pennies,
    Let them put a couple months in to see if their
    worth it.
    They might not be worth .35cpm
    Saves you from paying a slug more than he's worth.

5. 345_Magnum

345_Magnum Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    As a Walmart company driver for 27 years and an O-O for 17 before that I can fully appreciate what you're trying to accomplish. If the freight rates were where they should be, you could pay more than .45, but unfortunately they are not. Walmart 10 hour layover pays $42 for sleeper time and very, very few companies offer anything like that.

As long as you can offer decent insurance, a good retirement plan and a paid vacation/holiday plan you should not have any trouble finding qualified drivers @ .45 per mile.

Keep checking it out, only you will know what eventually works. :)

nightgunner Thanks this.
  6. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    And that's kind of what I was thinking. I'll probably do an evaluation after 90 days and see if a raise would be in order.

Offroad1978 and 345_Magnum Thank this.
  7. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The funny part is there's a guy I know who works for a mega who I will not name( similar to a brand of toothpaste). He told me with his experience he is easily worth twice that much. I got a good laugh out of it cuz I've seen his work.

stwik, strollinruss and 345_Magnum Thank this.
  8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I think a lot of companies pay their drivers by experience and expectation.
    For example, a starting driver should make, say $800 a week. We'll, if the freight and miles support it, you can pay between. 30 and .40 a mile. Whereas, a 5 year guy might be looking for $1200 a week.
    My point is this....think about what kind of driver you want, think about what his expectations are, think about the freight / miles and back one number into another and you'll get your answer.

For example, driver needs to make $1000 a week. You can easily expect that he'll run 2500 miles....so, it's .40 per mile. On the other hand, if he's only going to run 2000 miles, the correct answer would be .50. See?

RedForeman and nightgunner Thank this.
  9. Offroad1978

Offroad1978 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2017
    NY
    I'm fortunate to work for a company that did just that, reviewed my years of experience and gave me a raise after the evaluation period (after I proved myself). Made my years of experience feel valued finally, not just in dollars per hour or mileage pay, they valued my dependability, capabilities ,etc.

Hats off to you sir, you sound like an honest, reasonable owner. No doubt you'll find two good drivers with your mentality.

Oxbow, nightgunner and 345_Magnum Thank this.
  10. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I think paying $40 for tarping is low if you're getting over $100 from the customers. I can understand replacement costs for tarps and bungees, but it's not like detention where the pay is split because the truck and business are also being tied up alongside the driver.

11. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

What if he's not getting any additional money specified for tarping?
    What if he's getting $35 for tarping and still paying $40?

What he's paying is based on what it's worth as drivers labor, not vs what he gets paid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.