Pay advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nightgunner, Feb 18, 2018.

1. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm not the OP, but here's a qualified answer from another fleet owner: YES! I'd love to do that.

Except, my insurance company won't cover a driver with less than 2 yrs verifiable experience.

Great, so change insurance companies, right? OK, except the only company that will write drivers under 2 yrs is Progressive (maybe one or two others, but beside the point).

So what? A Progressive quote on my current, experienced drivers and equipment is 50% higher than the exact same coverage from a better company. Then add a new, inexperienced driver and the already inflated premium doubles. For the entire fleet, not just one truck/trailer! In my case, that would add additional cost of around $80,000/year. Just for one trainee in one of three trucks. Doesn't leave much to pay the new driver with, even at an entry level rate. For that matter, doesn't leave much to pay anyone else with either.

This is why large fleets are where new drivers must go to gain that initial two years of experience.

Why is that different? Because larger fleets do not buy insurance. They are self insured. Being self insured, they get to decide what kind of risks they want to take on, not any insurance company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The short answer to that is no.
    As was previously stated not only are there huge insurance issues but the costs associated with trainees is staggering.
    My van does a lot of time-sensitive freight. It's nothing personal against rookies, I just do not have the time or energy to train someone again.

stwik and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  4. Express12$

Express12$ Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    You have to fly through to recover a load that's crazy.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  5. Express12$

Mar 11, 2017
    Most small company paid more than $0.55 a mile and you can drive as ma ny miles you are able to under a elogs $1500- $2000

6. Express12$

Mar 11, 2017
    it is

7. Express12$

Mar 11, 2017
    With $0.45 a mile he will never be able to find good reliable driver .

8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    There's good reliable drivers making .35 cpm.
    And thier perfectly happy with thier pay
    and job.
    I know some of them myself.
    There happy where there at.

loudtom Thanks this.
  9. AlBig

AlBig Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    If you can find idiots to work 70hr plus other time spend on duty you are backed

Express12$ Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    In 6 years otr. I worked for 3 flatbed companies. % pay that come to 35 cents. Dh was free. Tarp was free. No layover for lack of loads. $25 per stop.

1st company hauled rebar out. Lotta tarped loads. Weekends home for 34. Second company was steel out and usually lumber back. Mostly tarped loads. Weekend 34. 3rd company was mostly cali and back. half tarp. A lot of multi picks and drops.

Some of you are pretty picky buggers. Compared to what's offered around here.

11. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    No some of them are just steering wheel holders who like to run their mouths. I don't worry about all that much.

stwik and snowwy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.