pay for aggregate

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by dloury79, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dloury79

dloury79 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2011
    payne springs, tx
    I am an o/o looking into running a belly dump locally around east texas. Could anybody help me by giving mesome rough numbers. I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile. What is tonnage pay for "x" miles? How much of an increase can i expect in pay if the load goes farther? How many loads can i expect to haul a day? What kind of wait time can i expect for loading? Etc. I can't see running my own truck for $600-800/week if it pays that poorly. But for some reason i can't find anything that gives me some kind of pay/mile range for me to make any rough calculations. Thank you for any help with this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craggy1982

craggy1982 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2012
    KY
    depends on what you are hauling. some material could be light and you would want to charge a flat rate. heavy material you would want to charge tonnage and then that's going to decide how far you are going to haul. also set a minimum for the load such as a mini of 22 ton. most loading just takes about a half hour same with delivery(at least with end dumps that was normal times). mostly figure what you want to make a day after fuel and figure your rates from there. ive hauled loads going 30 miles paying 9 a ton and have hauled loads going 700 miles that paid 58 a ton. also have hauled loads paying 200 a ton to go 450 miles to deliver on Christmas day. depends on customer material and how desperate they are to get the material.

dloury79 Thanks this.
  4. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    I can safely say here in my neck of the woods, 36 tons of SB-2 costs about $3,200. Depends on the stone hauled, miles, and your overhead up keep. ####, I wish I could run a truck for $600-800 a week. Thats dirt cheap!

5. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I'm a local company driver in Ohio, and pull a 28' end dump. I can help a little, maybe. Lol! Tonnage pay for "x" miles is the haul rate per ton, based on mileage. And it varies, depending on who you haul for, and what you are hauling, and how far it's going. So,etimes my haul rate can be around $6-$8 per ton, and others are less. Being an o/o, your rate would probably be higher, because I get paid after fuel cost, and company profit. The amount if loads you can haul per day depends on quarry hours, job site hours, and how far you are hauling. Some days I can get as many as 10 loads in, and others as few as 4. Usually not any less than that unless its just a messed up day. Wait time for loading varies also. Depends on the quarry, or job site loader. I've waited 40 minutes before, rarely though, a d sometimes in and out in less than 10 min. Considering I make between $600-$800 a week as a company driver getting paid only 25%, you should be looking to make that or more in profit after expenses. Hope this helped even a little bit. Good luck.

dloury79 Thanks this.
  6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Call the quarry and see what they are putting out. In northeast Ar they are paying 7.50 a ton to haul commercial base 70 mile round trip. Figures up to about 700 a day putting 25 ton on those boys say its a tough life.

7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    I ran belly dumps in central Texas a few years back...... most local stuff was dirt cheap. Another problem was the hoard of trucks trying to run the pit. Lots of sitting. Lots of competition. Lots of bears, little money.

If you don't own a belly dump then don't buy one, lease it on % from the carrier. If you do then call Statewide Trans, they may be able to fix you up in your area.

And my best advice, if your not a seasoned vet in the bellies then stay out. The only way to get a check ( in central Texas ) was to know all the short cuts, the scale master , the loader operator and every back FM road in the county. When they call for material for an oilfield road or pad the carrier dispatches it all, just like a train. You could be 50 deep at the pit and the same 50 deep at the job.

$12 to $1500 was all I could get and it was more to 12 except when it rained, then it was much worse. They paid me on the ton / mile @ 2 to 7 per.

Good luck

8. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    When I sold my belly 4 years ago the best rate I saw was maybe 0.18 $ a ton mile. And that was road construction type hauling base or back fill sand to the portable plants.
    That .18 $ ton mile if you don't know figures like this example
    .18*25ton*25 miles equals 112.5 for the load. 2.25 $ per mile round trip.

Hauling Into the concrete plants doesn't pay so great. Everyone wants to do it and its easy work not hard on trucks like construction.

Right now asphalt is paying between 90-110$ per hr depending on how many ton you can haul.
    That's good money considering you may sit a lot and not a lot of miles per day. Depending on the job. But arou d here you gotta be willing to travel and live like a carny and follow the work.

That's what I know. I'm in the Midwest

9. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    S TX has rock buckets 10 deep . Cutting each others throats every day. Same with sand. My last trip a guy from up in OK panhandle was pulling out. 6 trucks. Had been making good money last couple of yrs. Now just stayed pi ssed all the time.

10. dloury79

dloury79 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2011
    payne springs, tx
    I was actually saying that after all my expenses came out i didn't want my take home to only be $600-800 as an o/o.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.