Pay rate for leasing Owner Operators under my authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Californiahauler, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Californiahauler

Californiahauler Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Hey everyone,
    I wanted to ask, if I was to lease owner operators under my authority, what would be a fair percentage to charge? I want to pay the percentage of loads, rather than miles or anything else. I plan on doing all the dispatching, insurance, plates, IFTA, invoicing, etc. The only think I would expect them to do would be the heavy duty tax, paying their own fuel, and sending me the BOL. I would pay them every Friday. What would be the difference in percentage if their using my trailer vs their own trailer. I know most brokers charge up to 7% just to pay within 7 days. But I'm stumped on what would be a fair pay rate in my situation. What do you all think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So let me ask ... what experience do you have?

Because there are a lot of red flags with your idea.

roshea, wis bang and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    The range of percent is pretty huge. From 10% of ratecon to 35, with a huge variety in the who pays whats.

5. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    I will add that owner ops will vary in quality as much as carrier contracts. If a carrier had rip-off lease terms for their owner ops, the good, experienced operators you can rely on wont bother fooling with you so the pickins will be from 2nd and 3rd stringers that dont know better or cant get signed on somewhere better. Youll have lots of headaches to babysit and high turnover if you have to sift the barrel bottoms.

If your lease terms are very favorable to the driver and you actually honor them, drivers will be lined up for interviews and youll have your pick of the litter. Just make sure you sort em good and uphold your end of the bargain.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Didn't someone already preach the forum on this idea.

And the end result. Well.

7. Californiahauler

Californiahauler Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I have been dispatching for one driver for about a year now. I have the experience with him, and wanted to grow the business. Can you advise the red flags that you're concerned about?
    That's a huge gap! Any idea how people end up deciding what's fair?
    I'm looking for exactly that. Having favorable lease terms so that I can have my pick of the drivers. But in kinda confused on what that is.
    I looked through the forum. There's been threads around these ideas, but I couldn't find anything with the same specificity of the questions I had.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's not a question. It's an actual topic of the same idea with a few hundred pages.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    What is fair depends on what you’re bringing to the table. Currently I give 27% for a specialty trailer, pto and blower, dedicated loads from direct customers, weekly pay, $70 an hour labor rate in our shop, fuel card with discounts, and tire discounts.

Tug Toy, mp4694330 and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  10. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    its fair when both parties are content with each other and making a reliable profit they can raise their kids with.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have one o/o. I charge 12% of the gross revenue, plus $600 for cargo insurance. He owns his dry van trailer, gets his own plates and own bobtail insurance.
    In my area usually everyone charges 10% for this kind of set up, but I charge a little extra, because I know the quality of my service is worth extra 2%.

HopeOverMope, Drake.r and mp4694330 Thank this.
  12. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If I were to be leased on to someone, I would have to know on what number the percentage would be based on first. Direct customers, guaranteeing 7K gross a week per 2000 miles, even 30% is fair without a trailer.

Spot market with a forced dispatch...I opt out. Spot market with picking my own loads and my own trailer + carrier pays the liability and cargo insurance...10% - 15%(absolute max) of the gross.

Essentially, the fair % (not to be mistaken with good) to me would be such that per 100K guaranteed all miles workload, a leased on owner operator should be clearing 80-90K after all operational expenses (fuel, tolls, truck payments, trailer payments, regular maintenance, insurance, registration).
    If the above are not met, I'd rather be a well paid driver or be on my own MC#.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.