PC and log violations

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Chebbydriver7195, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    That is not correct. They are required to be imprecise. Screenshot_20190321-123514_Chrome.jpg

25(2)+2, Lepton1, roshea and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The ELD does only show Geo-location data yes. He said satellite which is why I specified GPS. A commercial GPS has a resolution of 1 meter. (Looks like I mixed foot/meter)
    An ELD has the same resolution, but it only records two decimal places of resolution, not the full 4 decimals it knows about.
    That said it's still not 1-2 miles. It's 1.1 km at the equator. At the 38th parallel (runs about 1/2 way through Kansas) it's right at 0.8 km, which is 0.498 miles (I.e the 1/2 mile he claimed)

But all that is irrelevant anyway. The ELD is not allowed to get movement data from the GPS. It's only allowed from the ECM. It knows about the move and there will be a report of "Miles without hours" or whatever that company calls it to shows the movement.

Here is a primer about resolution if you want...
    Geographic Coordinates In Decimal Degrees - Precision & Accuracy
    Decimal degrees - Wikipedia

And the text from 395 that specified 2 decimal places.

7.31. Latitude
    Description: An angular distance in degrees north and south of the equator.
    Purpose: In combination with the variable “Longitude”, this parameter stamps records requiring a position attribute with a reference point on the face of the earth.
    Source: ELD's position measurement.
    Used in: ELD events; ELD outputs.
    Data Type: Latitude and Longitude must be automatically captured by the ELD.
    Data Range: X, M, E or −90.00 to 90.00 in decimal degrees (two decimal point resolution) in records using conventional positioning precision; −90.0 to 90.0 in decimal degrees (single decimal point resolution) in records using reduced positioning precision when allowed; latitudes north of the equator must be specified by the absence of a minus sign (−) preceding the digits designating degrees; latitudes south of the Equator must be designated by a minus sign (−) preceding the digits designating degrees.
    Data Length: 1, or 3 to 6 characters.
    Data Format: <C> or First character: [<'-'> or <{blank}>]; then [<C> or <CC>]; then <'.'>; then [<C> or <CC>].
    Disposition: Mandatory.
    Examples: [X], [M], [E], [−15.68], [38.89], [5.07], [−6.11], [−15.7], [38.9], [5.1], [−6.1].

7.33. Longitude
    Description: An angular distance in degrees measured on a circle of reference with respect to the zero (or prime) meridian; The prime meridian runs through Greenwich, England.
    Purpose: In combination with the variable “Latitude”, this parameter stamps records requiring a position attribute with a reference point on the face of the earth.
    Source: ELD's position measurement.
    Used in: ELD events; ELD outputs.
    Data Type: Latitude and Longitude must be automatically captured by the ELD.
    Data Range: X, M, E or −179.99 to 180.00 in decimal degrees (two decimal point resolution) in records using conventional positioning precision; −179.9 to 180.0 in decimal degrees (single decimal point resolution) in records using reduced positioning precision when allowed; longitudes east of the prime meridian must be specified by the absence of a minus sign (−) preceding the digits designating degrees of longitude; longitudes west of the prime meridian must be designated by minus sign (−) preceding the digits designating degrees.
    Data Length: 1, or 3 to 7 characters.
    Data Format: <C> or First character: [<`-'> or <{blank}>]; then [<C>, <CC> or <CCC>]; then <`.'>; then [<C> or <CC>].
    Disposition: Mandatory.
    Examples: [X], [M], [E], [−157.81], [−77.03], [9.05], [−0.15], [−157.8], [−77.0], [9.1], [−0.2].

4. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Talking about overthinking it, I wonder how many truckers would be able to grasp those concepts(see preceding post), lol.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Very much so. :)
    Thing is, how can one exploit the laws to ones advantage if one does not know the laws?

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  6. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Absolutely, the laws are being made to exploit hard working people that don't have the time, energy, or knowledge to keep up with or figure out, or for that matter, fight the unfair and oppressive laws put down to control and exploit the people that are working hard within the industry. That's why I praise forums like this that help explain things in plain English.Thank you, TTR.

Lepton1 and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Off duty-pc to safe haven parking.

9. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I’ve always used line 3, and commented Safe Haven. Never had an issue with company or any DOT that happen to see it.

The only time I was questioned about it. I’d left the interstate with 4 hours to drive 99 miles. It took 6, and I drove 140 miles. This was when 5 was closed during the fires.

Sometimes circumstances dictate the events.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
  11. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I have been on e logs 5 + years.
    I don't go over hours very often but I don't worry about it when it happens either.
    The most common log 'violation' I get nowadays is when the peoplenet
    fails to register my 30 minute break as such. Happens every few weeks.
    Do I stop and take another 30 minute break when that happens ? Hell no.
    And no law officer or inspector has ever asked to see my logs. Not once since I started driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.