PDTI - Just another 4-letter word?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by JustSonny, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I would like to think both of my instructers were pretty good at what they do. Both have 30+years as drivers. Taught me things that I never knew.

BTW I asked where you got your info on skid pad training and so far you haven't given proof. I seriously doubt there is any.

I am thinking this is going to be like sparring with another member here Jayshawn89. 20 years old and knows everything about the trucking business.

You on the other hand seem to know everything about training schools.

I am happy you got a decent trainer at your company. Many are not so fortunate.

I am going to sit back and ponder why Crete will not take non PTDI trained drivers.

I have watched the 3 week wonders come to my school for testing. My instructors are third party testers for the state. I see how many flunk first time out. I see how many have a problem getting int the driveway without running over the grass.

:biggrin_2559:

BTW if your trailer was leaving the ground your mentor should have had you park that rig before you were in a rollover.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    First, I am 47 years old and I did not just jump into trucking, I knew years ago I would become a trucker and through research and advice of many experienced drivers I made the choices that would lead to success, I left nothing to chance. I was not lucky to get a good trainer, I made certain I would and would not have accepted less.

I just google it and found a few sites. www.driveandstayalive.com/.../driving...and.../skid-pan-training.htm

The $9,500 for 5 1/2 months was from one of the first few posts in this thread. The number stuck with me because I was blown away by it.

Werner here in Omaha does not have skid pad training, they do have a simulator.

The instructors at my school, as with most schools, were also state approved 3rd party testers. Passing the cdl test requires only simple basic skills, or at least here in NE,
    We only had to straightline back, alley doc back, and a right turn, you are allowed 10 points. then a 15 to 20 mile road test. I passed on my first time at the end of the second week, then the school spent two more weeks teaching blindside backing, skipping , floating and splitting gears, serpentine backing and parallel parking as well as more driving around town and other things.

I certanly do not know everything, but I have not and do not buy into a lot of the hoopla. Insurance companies require 12 months experience... hoopla... my company got me on their insurance with 0 experience. Truck Driving Schools are big business, they are not in it out of kindness, they are in it for profit, and with schools costing anywhere from the $1400 you paid to the $9500 another paid, it is safe to assume there is hoopla there. There was a time when you didn't go to school, you studied the manual andpassed your writtens, you had some one with a truck teach you the basics, you borrowed that truck or rented on for your test and you had your cdl and were on you way for a couple hundred bucks.

This is from cretes website, I do not see where it says PDTI only

• <LI type=square>Minimum age: 22 years of age. <LI type=square>One year verifiable tractor-trailer experience.* <LI type=square>Have a stable verifiable work history. <LI type=square>No DUI or DWI convictions or positive drug screens or events in the past five years and no felony conviction within the last 10 years. <LI type=square>Have an acceptable driving record as reflected by MVR. <LI type=square>No major preventable accident in the past five years. <LI type=square>Have a valid Class (A) C.D.L. with HAZMAT endorsement. ( If you do not currently have your Hazmat Endorsement, the company will give you 45 days from your hire date to obtain the Hazmat Endorsement.)
      <LI type=square>Meet DOT requirements and be able to pass Company pre-work screen, DOT physical and drug screen tests, and an in-cab road test. All tests are paid for by the company.
    • Be able to perform functions in job description.
    [​IMG]

* Exceptions to the one (1) year OTR requirement may be made on an individual basis if the driver applicant has a stable work history. The company will also accept qualified student drivers who have successfully completed their training at an approved school.
    As for my mentor having us pull over and park the rig because of a gust of wind in Wyoming is a joke... we were not drivng in tornado conditions... the wind was actually fairly calm for Wyoming that day... However, a big gust of wind did come up as we were rounding a slight curve... That is going to happen from time to time, perhaps soon schools will have wind tunnels too...

I am not trying to have an argument wth you. I will stand by my opinion which is based on my experience, that not attending a PDTI certified school has not hindered me one bit. I am not telling anyone that they shouldn't attend a PDTI school if they desire, but it is not mandatory, they can be a success, be a good pofessional driver with good training and experience if they didn't attend a PDTI.

I see you are an EX trucker.. So you are not in school now are you? or do you run your own school?

JustSonny Thanks this.
  4. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I am going to orientation one week from today. I started trucking when you took a written test and you were good to go from taxi cab to trailer trucks. I pulled jet fuel and avgas for a while. No such thing as tank endorsment. I graduated 12/15 I didn't want to leave until after New Years.

I did apply at Crete my school was OK. I don't believe they hire from the other schools in my area. "Approved schools."

I am not an instructer. That is something I might do 10 or 15 years from now. Going to work for the state I can get vested in the retirement program in 5 years.

One thing that probably happens on a almost daily basis is 4 wheelers jumping around you and hammering the brakes to get off at an exit. Hopefully you aren't in a skid situation where you can't identify what type you are in.

I followed that link you provided. It is talking about young kids in 4 wheelers taking race oriented skid pan training. I can see their point on that. Maybe that is an apples to oranges comparison.

I was in a jackknife skid situation 2 times. It is a cheek clenching situation for sure.

Watching the video that JJ Keller has was interesting. Doing it in practice would have been awsome.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    Rug... Good luck to you at orientation... You have a unique opportunity to being an "old timer" having been in trucking in the past and now a "newbie" so to speak, re-entering the insdustry... That gives you a much wider perspective and I look forward to you sharing your insights.

I think it is good that they have schools and new drivers should be given a good foundation. I think there should be a minimum standard that all schools must meet, and of course some schools will offer more.

However, the thing that is concerning to me, is that the training standards of the many of the large training companies are very inadequate. When we leave school we have a false sence of security, that we learned to drive a truck and just need practice to polish our skills. The longer I am out here, the more I realize how much I have to learn to be a professional truck driver.

I find it scary that a student who graduated in February, began training in March and be a trainer by October. How can a trainer who has never driven during winter train someone in the winter.

One thing I have noticed out here is "newbie over confidence" coupled with a lack of respect. Some of it I do believe is the belief that they went to a good school and were taught all they need to know. There are too many that are comfortable being insufficiently trained.

In our school we watched the JJ Keller video's and were taught about identifying types of skids and all through a very interactive computer learning program.

In school we drove Volvos and freightliners, 9,10 and 13 speeds. Now I drive a Pete which has a longer wheel base and it handles and maneuvers much different than anythig I drove in school. Also it is not governed, which is nice at times, however, it is more about driving at a safe speed than how fat we can drive.

I know that when that wind gust came up in Wyoming I was glad we were under the posted speed limit. That was a vauble learning experience.

Anyway, truck driving school is big business and tere is alot of money to be made in it. I just want to see more emphysis on the value of quality training. Perhaps skid pad trainng would be useful, but not in place of being trained by an experienced driver, but just as what it is, sliding around on a skid pad.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  6. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Powerful trucks are neat. The new trucks are so neutered. Never drove anything governed slower than 72. My step dad had a KW that would run 110+ that is crazy fast.

13's are nice. I guess I will be stuck with a 9 or a 10.

Happy New Year Lavender!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.