Penske says I owe $4,000 in IFTA fees?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Peterbuilt1013, Jan 4, 2019.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The system we have now is sort of fair.... The bigger issue is the ifta money likely doesn't all go towards road building/repair... Same idea as pa gouging toll road users to fund everything under the sun while spending a small % on the toll road itself... but those are discussions for another thread...

I think a better way to do it is a blended way of ifta as well as how mileage based states charge. State says how much they want per mile based on registered weight. Then collect credit in form of a per gallon rate. = every truck pays the same. An 80k truck that gets 4 mpg damages the road the same as another 80k truck that gets 8 mpg. But one will pay double in fuel tax. The recent significant rise in the per gallon rate must be in direct response to the improved fuel mileage of newer trucks. The only difference would be in the calculation of amount due vs credits paid.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Or, maybe they would bring back Bingo cards :p

bzinger, Bean Jr. and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I just had something similar happen to me when I rented a Penske truck, except that they automatically deducted it from my account and the amount wasn’t much, but still. My mistake was not having told them that I have an IRP account where I pay my IFTA taxes, plus other states. It’s disappointing because they declined to refund me the amount, saying that I should have read the agreement. Next time, I will try my best to avoid Penske. What a bunch of thieves.

5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Well they are right you SHOULD of read the agreement. But that is ########, you should of been refunded. They just didnt want to do the paper work.

Bean Jr. and PE_T Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I remember calling Penske corporate about this problem and spoke to their billing department, and the lady said that I had called to approve this expense. I told her, that there is only one person in my company, and no way was that me. She then said that the notes in the computer showed she was in fact the one who had processed the transaction. It turns out someone from the Penske location I rented the truck from had the balls to call Penske corporate and pass as me to get the expense approved!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    We lease our fleet from Penske but run our own IFTA.

We have made the same error when using a rental for a few months; no trip sheets and no fuel receipts so the wanted a decent amount.

We now have trip sheets, etc.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    New Jersey more than likely. I think they raised their fuel tax a couple years ago but if you always bought fuel at your cheap place on 1-9 and ran back and forth across 80 in PA and never bought fuel till OH it would probably put you in the hole pretty good.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    It actually works in our favor as we are very local and have our fuel delivered on-site. Back when NJ was 17.5% we had a lot of credits at that amount while all the miles in PA and NY were a lot higher so we paid a good bit every quarter.

Now I don;t see the fuel bill so I really don't know how much that went up but all those fuel credits in NJ are now worth a lot more against what we owe to NY and PA so my quarterly IFTA dropped by 75%....

10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Yeah they raised it significantly back in 2016 I think it was. I was living there at the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.