people net and rapid acceleration/deceleration

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by southtruck, Feb 27, 2017.

1. southtruck

southtruck Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Flaw dah
    I have a question about policies and people net, I'm new to e logs and have started a new position that require them, peoolenet monitors our acceleration and deceleration rates and if we exceed 9 miles an hour in one second it generatees an email to my suoervisor, the company would just look for excessive dings but is now writing up people for.any offense, one driver who has ten years of safe driving is on his second write up from slamming on the brakes to avoid a tanker that cut in front of him, the guy who taught me to drive and has 35 years experience got dinged twice in one 60 mile trip, it will ding you if you slip while getting under a trailer or over wet hump s in driveways, just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. I go solo today with them and im nervous about this

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Get yourself a dash cam. Document anything to time of date if it happens, have the video ready to defend yourself. A go pro on your head is the best. A quality dash cam on the glass even better.

That is one thing.

The other is to get your mind ahead of the truck. Don't be afraid to be three steps ahead of the people who don't yet reached a decision that they will stop short in front of you. Usually there are small signs that they intend something. Such as passing you in the hammer lane then matching your speed suddenly just moments before cutting you off across 5 lanes to dive into the exit ramp....

scottlav46, tscottme and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    A company can set parameters for things like this in PeopleNet pretty much any way they want them. Our PeopleNet will send a report for rapid deceleration and following too closely. But they have it set low enough that you have to really be over the top before it reports it. And then they have to see an ongoing pattern of poor driving through multiple event reports to ever say anything to you about it. One isolated event won't cause us any grief.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet ours is set so any tire slippage, or even the right bump gives a notification. Of course of the literately thousands of warnings I've gotten (several a day) nothing has ever been said. I think it goes to a trash bin in safety e-mail. If they are writing up petty crap like this, they are looking to get rid of drivers. I'd be looking for a new job so when they do go under you aren't sitting wondering what happened.

MrEd Thanks this.
  6. JRTBud877

JRTBud877 Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Albany, Oregon

If companies want to write drivers up that have many years of safe driving, just because a computer said the drive tires spun out, or the driver hit the breaks so as not to kill some idiot, then go ahead and write them up. Soon the company will be out of good drivers, and their company will suffer. If trucking companies want robots to drive their trucks, then go buy some robots. I wish technology had never showed up. Trucking was so much better 25 years ago. As was life in general. Write me up for whatever you want to, but I'm a safe driver with experience to prove it. I do not need a computer to tell me how to drive.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Where have you been all my old iron life.

I love this post. Then again... Ive evolved a little bit but this thread makes me feel that newbies are being subjected to being scared of the own assigned truck. That is wrong to me.

Loose Leaf Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Since when do "experienced drivers" not have any bad habits or unsafe driving style?

Trends and problems are VERY easy to spot in a sizable pool of driver history where consistent reporting equipment and means is used across the entire fleet. If 90% of the drivers go 4 months without a hard-brake event, and one guy gets them one a week. Either you have an unsafe driver who always follows too close and too fast, or defective accelerometer or other detection means in that truck. My money is on the unsafe driver.

But by all means, continue to make excuses.

tinytim and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Easy enough. Tell 'em "If you don't want me using the brakes, next time, I'll just HIT the MF'er."

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can get a big truck stopped in 6 seconds and a few milliseconds change. I have.

The one way converstation that results when shop finds out about it never stops. But eventually does when the supervisor's blood pressure falls off after he drained his heart with it's reserve blood.

11. southtruck

southtruck Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Flaw dah
    I'm a pretty safe driver and I understand how the deceleration could be an issue but spinning tires tryin g to get undè a trailer or over a wet hump makes no sense, we have consistent runs so the guys are so worried about it they lock their differentials when they hit these slippery spots. I coukd see being dumb and driving with cruise control on a water logged road but some of this is rediculous.

Toomanybikes and tinytim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.