Per Diem , Dont fall for the scam

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Maybe my writing is not clear, I never said this. Of course you needed to file schedule A to itemize your deductions and in return forfeit the standard deduction, pre 2018. Where in my figures did I go wrong?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Yes, that's the way I interpreted what he said.

4. Muskie

Feb 27, 2019
    And he did, in fact, he screwed himself in 2017 by not itemizing on schedule A, according to his numbers. He should not have been taking 10 cents per cpm from the company. Of course that all changed in 2018.

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Of course it changed in 2018, deal with it, which is what kylefitzy did. It worked out for him. There's always winners and losers in every tax revision. Your implications that only fat cat rich billionaires benefited from the new tax law is bogus. I'm a single member S-Corp, not a rich billionaire, and I can assure you I benefited tremendously from the new tax law ;-)

JoeyJunk and kylefitzy Thank this.
  6. Muskie

Feb 27, 2019
    Your not going to change the conversation to political and pull me in. Stick to the facts and numbers. The fact is that we company drivers got screwed on per diem from 2017 to 2018 via the tax law revisions. So much so, that any other additional gains did not overcome the loss. Thus we pay more in taxes.

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    You cannot say "WE" plural as in ALL company drivers (who took the per diem off their own return) got screwed.

Too many other factors individually have to be taken into consideration, or as you said, apples & oranges.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Muskie

Feb 27, 2019
    I would safely say 99.9% of company drivers did get screwed. If your we're maximizing your per diem on your schedule A correctly in 2017 compared to the taking the only option 2018 to date, company per diem. The difference is far too great to be made up in other areas.

9. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Eating at the T/A for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ads up.

10. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Plus, I find it hilarious that you infer I'm trying to pull you into a political debate LOL. You're the one that was taking direct shots politically. To the point where a moderator had to delete a portion of one of your comments because of it ;-)

Other than that, I shall move on.

11. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Get a dorm fridge if you have an inverter. I eat food from home and never have to eat truck stop slop. Can't tell you how much better I feel both physically and emotionally because of that one thing alone. I look forward to meals instead of being bored and annoyed by how many subs and burgers I used to eat. Also, it saves so much money.

Muskie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.