Percentage pay...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diesel drinker, Aug 17, 2017.

1. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    So I have just quit my job as I got tired of it.It was OK money but too much hassling. It was really taking toll on me.I don't feel like driving anymore but would reconsider it if I was offered really good money.
    To the point,what would be a good percentage pay for a 1099 driver and under what conditions would you agree to it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoudOne

LoudOne Medium Load Member

You can get 30-35%as company driver with benefits. Why would you go 1099 and have to pay everything yourself?

DTP and MrEd Thank this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That depends on so many things it isn't even answerable.

Justrucking2 and LoudOne Thank this.
  5. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    What Loudone says is true. So if you gotta pay all bennies from your pay as a 1099 driver, Id say youll need at 5 to 7 percent more than youd accept as a company driver on a w-2 job. Maybe 10. In my humble opinion, the 2 ways to go are W-2 company driver or owner operator. 1099 jobs seldom seem totally on the up an up.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    % is probably the shadiest way of paying somebody in the trucking biz. You get a % of what? You don't know what that load really paid. I tried to stay away from % my whole career. 1st trucking job, was SUPPOSED to be 29% ( of the trucking charge) Once, the boss foolishly told me to "pick up a check for the trucking". After I did some math, I was really getting more like 22%. When confronted, he stammered about it, and I quit shortly after. Mileage too, stayed away from that, although, mileage is pretty cut and dry. You roll X amount of miles, and get paid accordingly. Not many by the hour OTR jobs, so I stayed local and got paid by the hour. It's the only way I'd ever drive a truck. Just watch out with %.

Tall Mike, magoo68, DTP and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    There is dicussion in another thread where 1 company is considering paying everyone a salary, same every week no matter how much you do. Does that appeal or seem to be more fair?

8. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Oh, the bean counters are getting sharp. I don't know where to start about paying a truck driver salary. Can you imagine the person that would say, "sounds good". It's clearly NOT a salary type of job, except in very rare cases.

10. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    And salary jobs you end up carrying the dead wood.
    One size does NOT fit all.
    I spent an entire career pushing idiots up the ladder ahead of me to get
    them out of my way to the top.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Pay what "everything" myself?When paid per mile on 1099 I only paid my taxes myself and I would want to keep it that way on percentage. Basically I want more money.For instance ,I would be willing to sacrifice myself and do deliveries at 3 am IF the money is right

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.