Percentage pay...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diesel drinker, Aug 17, 2017.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You also pay double on your Social Security ( your part + the company matching part), have no workmans comp if you get hurt, no unemployment if you would normally qualify.

DTP and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    To me it doesn't Most likely you will end up worse off than when paid per mile.

4. gentran

gentran Light Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Just get your own authority and you can set your own schedule, or stay hourly local ltl. Too many people taking a cut of the pot when u r 1099.

5. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Let me put it this way, you pay more but you pay less.I am not a beliver in social securities and see it as another tax.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, guess what, if you want by the hour, you WILL be going to work at 3am ( if you're lucky) Aside from dump trucks, most deliveries I made, I started at 1am ( to be somewhere by 3 or 4) and did that for years ( for different companies) It screwed up my sleep habits so much, even to this day, retired, at 1am, I'm still tossing and turning. However, I was usually home by early afternoon, and had a life after that. Choice is yours.

diesel drinker Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Yea most local gigs start in the middle of the night or at night, and finish in the morning. Just do to the traffic in the cities.

Just go to Landstar. You need a decent truck & decent driving record is all.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  8. LoudOne

LoudOne Medium Load Member

It really depends on the job at hand if salary is beneficial or not. I'm on salary on a dedicated flex fleet. Reason I'm.paid salary is because they never know where I am needed week to week. I have some weeks I may only do 900 miles but fill my 70 in 6 days. Others I'll push 3k in 6.

9. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Yeah,I could do that or get my own authority but the thing is that I want to remain free at the same time. Say if I want to go for month long vacation I want to be able to just say "Boss I will be gone for a month" and start packing without having to worry what to do with the truck etc.

10. LoudOne

LoudOne Medium Load Member

If you worked for me and said I want a month off with minimal notice you wouldn't have a job when you wanted to come back. You get one set of holidays a year as an employee. Outside of that... Forget it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.