Performance 3406E head gasket solution ??

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by caterpillar4811, Feb 6, 2018.

1. caterpillar4811

caterpillar4811 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Have you experienced the cat head bolts stretching and letting the head lift and blow the gasket?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    definitely 16:1 pistons and not industrial at 18:1?

I have seen cryogenically treated factory bolts hold up quite well torqued to 350lb/ft.

generally from what I've seen continued gasket failure is from it being too hot or too much cylinder pressure. You need to get some cylinder pressure out for it to hang on

4. KVB

KVB Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2012
    I remembered reading this post when I stumbled upon this:

ARP Head Bolt Kit

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  5. Truck engine machinist

Truck engine machinist Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2011
    USA
    A lot of Cat heads, including new ones are not flat when measured sideways. When resurfacing a head, the only way to make it perfectly flat, is to have the cutter machine wheel, completely flat. The only problem with that, is that when the backside of the cutter wheel, starts over the head surface, it stars to make a crosshatch pattern, which is not acceptable. The way to prevent this, is to raise the backside of the cutter wheel, to prevent it from touching. Machine shops raise it excessively, causing the front to machine the head low in the middle, measured crosswised. That is right where most head gaskets fail. The professional mechanics that I work for, would not concider installing any head (used or new) , without having it resurfaced. Beware, many machine shops do the same thing, which does not improve anything. Be sure to measure every head, with a precission straight edge crosswise. I have seen brand new cat heads, that were .004" low in the center, measured crosswise. I would not install a head that is .001" or more, low in the center. I could possibly see the head bolts straightening the head, lengthwise, but not sideways.

6. Hurricane69

Hurricane69 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Iowa
    That's complete bs.... If your getting back cut the machine tool is wore out. It's not rocket science just a plain and simple fact. That's why any respectable shop has ballbar checks scheduled on their machines the compensate for imperfections in their rails and bearings. If your getting a heavy center cut it's not jigged properly or your machine tool is shot. We always moved our jig up and down the bed to make sure our tool was wearing evenly......the ballbar test confirmed that.

wore out and SAR Thank this.
  7. Truck engine machinist

Dec 2, 2011
    USA

8. Truck engine machinist

Dec 2, 2011
    USA
    Good job! I know of many shops that do not do it that way. I just did a job which reblew a head gasket within 600 miles. The mechanic had had it resurfaced before he reinstalled it. It was .002" low in the middle.

9. Truck engine machinist

Dec 2, 2011
    USA
    I highly recommend that all mechanics check every head croswised, with a precision straightedge, before installing the head. To make sure that it was resurfaced, the way that you do it.

10. 991lw

991lw Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2017

11. 991lw

991lw Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2017
    That looks nice,who rings the 3406 e head?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.