Personal Conveyance question while on your reset?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RunningAces, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Hey, you've got to eat, I can't think of a better reason for personal conveyance, but then I don't belong to a company that would put a blotch on my career for breaking the rules, or an angry DOT cop that lost his wife to a truck driver, but that's me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yes that's what I was thinking of.

Pc is saying for enroute lodgings or restaurants... 40 miles in the direction of the destination? And with the recent rule of loaded trailers allowed? I think that's stretching it... Wal-Mart or movies don't exactly fit that criteria I'd say..

If you were my driver I would say no sorry..

TripleSix Thanks this.
  4. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    The regulations says the first safe area, if that happens to be in the direction of the load, that is legal. Now on the other hand if the closest safe area was in the opposite direction and he/she decided to head towards the direction of the load, then driver would be in the wrong. In this scenario we are not talking about safe haven, we are talking, supplies and a movie. Why would he have to drop trailer? Laden or unladen is the same now. He/she needs to know company policy on PC. Did they limit to 40 miles, FMCSA has no limit on miles or times. Just has to make sense to DOT, reasonable miles and times. As a matter of fact one FMCSA scenario talks about 60 miles in Alaska as being reasonable.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Actually, I think the FMCSA has not issued any guidance as to where you go or how far you can go. In a lot of cases like this, they refer to the carrier. However that guidance I posted is clear, you had better not be loaded while running PC. You can get busted for that.

6. Expeditor

Mar 5, 2018
    Moose, laden or unladen, doesn't matter anymore. That was change to include box trucks that couldn't drop their load. You are right, FMCSA, does not limit on hours or miles, Carrier can if they elect to do so. Also carrier can prevent PC all together or limit it to mile or hours and so on.

Trucker61016 and misterG Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    All I can go by with advice is what the FMCSA has issued with their guidance. The FMCSA will not continue to place regulatory guidance if it has been changed or altered by later rule changes. If you say otherwise I'm going to need to see a link. I'm not trying to troll you or be a jerk. When I post advice I do my best to ensure said advice is right from title 49 CFR. As I said, if that guidance has been superseded I need to see a link!

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    My opinion is:

As long as you aren't "Laden", you can drive to Fla & back. You're off duty. Drop your trailer & go to aunt Suzies house 100 miles away & spend the weekend. Go 40 miles for a dinner & movie. You're off duty. PC = Personal Conveyance. Its put there for your "Personal Conveyance". It don't matter if you ridding a tricycle or driving a freight train. As long as you're off duty, you can go to dinner with the president in DC if you choose. You are off duty.

The full & entire reason for the personal conveyance line on your ELOG is so the mileage, hours, etc on the trucks computer will be noted. When DOT stops you next week, all that time on the trucks computer will be shown on the ELOG.
    You are allowed to use the truck for PC. Just leave the ELOG operational & note all your driving etc as PC. Again, PC is not there for YOUR personal time... its there to note the TRUCKS time while you are off duty. Otherwise, again, you can ride Dino The Dinosaur or the space shuttle & go wherever you want to go. OR, you can drive the truck under the PC line on your ELOG... as long as you are not Laden, under dispatch etc.

JMHO............

stwik, x1Heavy and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    If your intent is truly solely for the purpose of doing some shopping, meals, entertainment, etc., you are not moving under instruction from the carrier, and you are going to the first such facilities available to you, then I would say you are good to go. Just be prepared to articulate your move as I have just described it if you do get stopped.

Nor would I be overly concerned about returning to your starting point.

There is nothing in the Guidance referring to direction of travel. That is a misunderstanding of the actual words (furtherance of carrier's business) and intent of the new Guidance. The closest reference to "direction" regarding your situation is shown below.

Examples of Uses of a CMV that Would Not Qualify as Personal Conveyance

1. The movement of a CMV in order to enhance the operational readiness of a motor carrier. For example, bypassing available resting locations in order to get closer to the next loading or unloading point or other scheduled motor carrier destination.

3. Continuation of a CMV trip in interstate commerce in order to fulfill a business purpose, including bobtailing or operating with an empty trailer in order to retrieve another load or repositioning a CMV (tractor or trailer) at the direction of the motor carrier.

- Personal Conveyance

- Personal Conveyance: Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Reason for edit: Nor-way
    Bean Jr., brian991219 and Expeditor Thank this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Guys, it doesn’t matter if you’re loaded or not anymore.

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Thank you! I see that bit in the guidance section of 395 is outdated. I'm satisfied!

Dan.S, misterG and Long FLD Thank this.
  12. Expeditor

Mar 5, 2018

People need to understand PC was made to get you out of a bind, not to drive for hundreds of miles. Go to restaurant, go to hotel, find first safe haven. Here you can clearly see its from FMCSA Nov 2018. You can not deliver and then go home on PC. Yeah people will do what people want to do, but it in not legal. You guys can interpret the law anyway you want, what matters is when DOT pulls you over and sees the regulations his way and gives you a warning that you can't fight.

Edit: By the way Moose, I respect the fact that you don't want to give out false information on the site. You and I are on the same page.....Thanks

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmc...s-service/427416/personal-conveyance-faqs.pdf

Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.