Personal Conveyance question while on your reset?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RunningAces, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    This is exactly why DOT does not set limits on miles or hours on PC. If you truly can't find safe parking after delivery, then I would ask what does your company say?, if you are O/O, and DOT has inspected you and not said a word about it, I would say go with it. It is up to the company and DOT officer to decide. First company, because they set the PC limits or no PC at all. Then the DOT because he/she are familiar with the area, that's why its at the discretion of the officer. I wish that they were more direct with the regulations, but then I guess we wouldn't need lawyers. Again you have to go with what your company dictates.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    What i said is cut and dry. I’m so very sorry you failed to comprehend it. I’m not going to repeat myself or argue on this.

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Well, you are wrong, so there’s that.

Bean Jr. and misterG Thank this.
  5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    That's ok.
    Its alright to be wrong.

Bean Jr. and not4hire Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s pretty clear. Cut. All other rules are the same as it’s always been. Barney Fife got me in Pa. although I was unladen with an empty trailer under the old rules. I was Legal, but Pa locals disagreed. So did Judge. I could have appealed but paid $50 to be done with it. Big waste of everyone’s time.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

I am an owner operator leased to an all owner operator company. I had a conversation about this with our safety director when we went to elogs just befire the mandate. We used Miami in our discussion, which is 180 miles from my farm where i park my truck because many of my return loads from the Midwest are to the Miami area. His exact words to me were 'ya got to get to safe parking, it's not your fault the closest safe parking is your driveway, just give me a call so when the computer flags you in violation i know why'. Officially they set a limit of 50 miles, anything else we are supposed to get approval for, but that's really just a formality put in there so that when the inevitable lawsuit happens the lawyer can't claim they play fast and loose with hos.

8. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I know in Miami there are a few truck stops. They are paid, plus on the turnpike they have the oasis, fuel stop. I would go with what your carrier says. See the thing here is not just the computer flagging you, it's the DOT officer that stops you. It is up to their discretion. If you are going home for home time and have hours available, why not use them? Unless you are going home for another load. You need to follow your carriers advice. If you do get put of service, Its only going to put you of service for 10 hours, no big deal, as long as they don't write you up for falsifying records. The carrier will take a hit on their score as well. Not the end of the world. Come to think about it there are a few truck stops between Miami and Orlando, Tampa area.

9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I’m not understanding?
    Are you saying there isn’t safe parking between Miami and Sarasota?

10. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Dang

11. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Considering this is my opinion, and my company, company policy can be more stringent than state or federal regs.

If i say no you can’t...No you can’t. There is no right or wrong. There is my way or your fired.

(Redacted) may feel i’m wrong, but in the end i don’t care what he thinks. I laid it out there as i see it, being a company owner & not a company schmuck, i have that prerogative.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.