Personal Conveyance question while on your reset?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RunningAces, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    And this is wrong. No not that your comment is wrong, but the concept to leaving it up to the cop is. I don't drive anymore, and to be honest for the average driver I doubt this is a major thing in regard to PC. leaving interpretations up to law enforcement and Judges that don't know 395 from 391 is not right either. the FMCSA has got to make this clear in their guidance. A driver has got to know what they are allowed to do. Honestly, I'm in solid agreement with @GreenPete359 on this, leave it up to the vehicle owner/authority holder to decide what constitutes PC.

GreenPete359 and brian991219 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Moose, I don't know how old you are and I don't care to know. I come from the rotary type phones, when we got the "princess" phone line it was like getting a Apple phone today, Woodstock area, we didn't have internet as we know it we had BBS's, you get the point. It has always been up to the discretion of the officer. Back in the day if you were busted for drinking and driving they would take your keys, take you home and tell your wife pick up the car later, discretion of officer. The officer would look the other way. Today some officers will give you a choice on what to be written up for, do you want a speeding ticket or seat belt ticket. We all know that most everyone breaks at least one rule or law everyday. Some of us have been stop for a violation and gotten away with a verbal warning. Always been discretion of officer, if its not something major. It doesn't matter CMV or private vehicle.

I have been stop in my truck in TX given a level 1 passed it, 2 months later the officer scrapes the level one inspection off my windshield. I asked him why and he said your mud flaps are over 8 inches off the ground. I said yes but I just got inspected here in TX,level one with a "that a boy" sticker, and he said that's why I scrapped it off, your weren't suppose to get one.True story, at 10pm in New Braunsfield TX. Discretion of officer.

Sometimes I believe the way the write the law is so you have to have a lawyer interpret such law. Like job security, they write it and only they can interpret it

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    There used to only be 2 truck stops north of Miami on 27 in southbay. So about 100 parking spots near a major sugar plant and produce packing houses. Loves and pilot each added one relatively recently. The pilot has 20 spots. The loves is bigger but still small. Miami proper has a couple small truck stops but they fill up very early and are ripe with crime. Fact is if you are delivering in the afternoon you simply aren't finding legal safe parking within a hundred miles of Miami. Miami is a huge city, thousands of trucks are going into it every day just like every big city. But unlike most big cities up in the Midwest, Chicago for example, the population density doesn't drop once you get outside of town so property values are way to high to put a truck stop in. It's more like the northeast and trying to find parking near boston or nyc. The first truck stop on i95 is at exit 131. That's 131 miles north of downtown. And again, they are plum full by mid afternoon. It is what it is. You make the best of a crappy situation. In my case making the best of it is dh'ing home on pc if in out of hours.

Hulld Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm 60 years old. You also seemed to have missed my point. On this subject leaving this to what an officer deems to be PC and not PC is not something an officer should be deciding. These rules should be clear. No ambiguity. One thing I have always hated is how cops want to play around with grey areas. I know that cops will always be using their good sense when it comes to how they operate. However, 395 is not something they should be interpreting on the side of the road. Some states have really large HOS fines. This simply is not right. Right now I am involved with several conversations about this very subject on other servers. At some point, somebody is going to get enough of this and start filing lawsuits.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. Expeditor

Mar 5, 2018
    There is also one on exit 25? off I95, The 595, large truck stop, lots of car carriers. I'm not telling you what to do, again let the carrier dictate.

Google Maps

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I had 3 escapes from bad situations in south Florida. One I am not at liberty to disclose. One was the truckstop/C-store just north of where 75 crosses 27. Another was the port of Manatee. No matter the time I could always find a spot. I once had a 2 liter and pizza delivered to me at manatee!

8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Maybe I should stop trying to be Don Quixote, but safe haven will never have anything to do with PC. Division 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 explosives require teams and if one driver runs out of hours, the other can drive.

I know, it's like ****ing in the wind to say this, but we all have our own craziness. Mine is using the correct term.

brian991219, ZVar and Expeditor Thank this.
  9. Expeditor

Mar 5, 2018
    That is correct, explosives usually has teams, not to drive necessarily, but to keep eyes on the truck 24/7. If a person goes to the bathroom they other must babysit truck. You can PC with hazmat.

3. I s personal conveyance treated any differently when the driver is hauling hazardous materials? No. There is no restriction on personal conveyance regarding hazardous materials transportation, provided that the driver complies with provisions of 49 CFR parts 177 and 397.

I have Hazmat but haven't carried in years. I guess if you were in safe haven that didn't have facilities you could PC to close truck stop.

Truck stop can be safe haven
    Question 4: Who determines what is a "safe haven"?

Guidance: The selection of safe havens is a decision of the "competent government authorities" having jurisdiction over the area. The definition found in §397.5(d)(3) is purposely void of any specific guidelines or criteria. A truck stop may be considered a safe haven if it is so designated by local or State governmental authorities.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Have you ever been there? It's taken up by locals. They got 300 spots easy, and less than 50 of them don't have a local guy renting that spot by the month.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Port manatee is just south of Tampa near Bradenton. That c store you are talking about is still there. I wouldnt stop there to use the bathroom. That's just begging to get your truck stolen.

Maybe i should clarify, i wasnt posting here asking for suggestions or advice on hidey holes in South Florida. I have my solution. I drive home every time. The rules are what they are, i make them work for me.

Expeditor Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.