Personal Conveyance Rule change

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by EZ Money, Jun 3, 2018.

1. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    So what? It's not the TS' problem. I hate it, too. Prob is the scumbag drivers who booger up the Wally lot without buying anything and the same trash that pees all over the ts lot and then tosses their garbage out the window. No one who visits this site would ever be guilty of such transgressions but you know who your neighbor is.
    I'd pay every night if I had to. I make good $$$ but if they put a refer next to me:bonedemon::blackknight:

TallJoe and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Thanks to the eld mandate, the big truckstop operators know theyve got you where they want you now. Ooops!

back street slider Thanks this.
  4. Crossbones

Crossbones Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    If ever confronted, just tell the cops the only "safe parking location" is home. I like rules with subjective interpretations. LOL.

5. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Here is the question I am not finding an answer to:
    If you off duty out, to a restaurant say, do you have to be on duty to return to your starting point?
    The FMCSA says "a driver may use personal conveyance to a restaurant or..." It does not say to and from.
    According to the Compliance Manager at my company, the DOT regulator told him, "because the language says only to and not to and from, drivers may off-duty out but must be on-duty to return.

This sounds ridiculous to me but my company insists that their policy is identical to FMCSA guidelines.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Compliance manager at your company is an idiot. You can PC for anything where you're using the CMV for personal use. If you had a car parked at the truck stop and drove it to a restaurant, would you drive the car back? Then it's PC if you do the same in a CMV. If you're under a load and find a place to drop the trailer while you run some personal errands (restaurant, grocery store, movie, etc...), you can stay on PC until you get back to the trailer to hook up and continue under the load.

The only time that wouldn't be the case is for hometime and similar situations. If you are released from duty and PC home (or to a truck stop or hotel), and then you're dispatched from that location, you'd be on duty when you left out again even if you were simply returning to where you had been released from duty.

scottied67 and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm in compliance at my company and have spoken with OOIDA and someone from DOT about this. Personal conveyance is to and from, in regards to restaurants and such. It is not a one way deal.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Our problem is the vague language of the FMCSA guidelines.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    So, just clarifying this. I'm taking my restart at a TA right now about 500 miles from home. I've got a load due tomorrow morning. I need groceries. So in the middle of my 34 I can drop my trailer and head to the grocery store under PC and come back and continue my 34 uninterrupted? I was going to Uber but certainly don't want to.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    "So in the middle of my 34 I can drop my trailer and head to the grocery store under PC and come back and continue my 34 uninterrupted? "
    Yes, that's exactly right! Just be careful and check your ELD and make sure it stays on PC after your stops.If not put it back on PC before proceeding and for the return to your trailer.

Bank_Lbr and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Exactly. Just leave it on PC until you're done, and make sure it has remained on PC before moving the truck again at each stop you make. I've heard of at least 1 company that only allows ONE move under PC per day...so if you get where you're going and change to "off duty", it won't be available to use to get back. Solution is to leave it on PC until you are done using it...even when you're out of the truck doing whatever.

Bank_Lbr and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.