Personal Conveyance to go home

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by RunningAces, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Unladen means empty, or bobtail. From what I understand, I spent 2 hrs arguing with local DOT officers in Pa. got shutdown. Had to go to court to get my $500 and falsifying log ticket removed. Lol . It’s the principle of it.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    They revised the guidence, the reasonable clause is out but still ... here is from the guidence q&a

May a driver, who drops his or her last load at a receiver’s facility use personal conveyance to return to their normal work location (i.e. home or terminal?)

No. Returning home or to the terminal from a dispatched trip is a continuation of the trip, and therefore cannot be considered personal conveyance.

Remember these are guidence, and the states don't have to abide by them. They have the final say on what is pic and what isn't.

roshea and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    More misinformation now than ever, sure to change some more as they keep putting band aids, and splitting hairs. Cops are trying to figure out ways of making easy revenue now, Too much crap, I’m all for safety, not too keen on abusive Law Enforcers

6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Wow! Thanks it’s hard to keep up with all the changes, I’ve been logging everything since my Pa. adventure a few years back.

7. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Only 8, but I get your point. I have been 30 miles from home and had to park. Zero tolerance.

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I don't think the states get to issue guidance on what is PC or how far you can go PC. They can decide on how they want to enforce the PC rules as they interpret them, however, for interstate operations said interpretations had better be in accordance with the FMCSA or the state stands to lose cases in court. I no longer have access to the CVSA instructional material on this subject. However, I would be very careful with any comments one way or the other on this state rules issue until it is clear and unequivocal. I don't have this answer in front of me, I do know the answer is out there. To be honest I have a serious doubt there is any rules or regulations by the states because to do so would be to assume legal liability. They want to be able to point to the FMCSA and walk away.

If you know something I don't know on this and actually have it in written form I would be most interested in looking at it or a link.

9. Masonkid

Masonkid Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Where to start. So many well intentioned opinions... Just google “ fmcsa personal conveyance”.

Example:

“A driver may record time operating a CMV for personal conveyance as off-duty only when the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work by the motor carrier. The CMV may be used for personal conveyance even if it is laden, since the load is not being transported for the commercial benefit of the motor carrier at that time”

Can a loaded vehicle be used as personal conveyance?

Yes. Determining personal conveyance is based on the nature of the movement, not whether the vehicle is laden.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  10. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    There is no mileage limit as the law is written. If it qualifies as PC it doesnt matter how many miles as far as D.O.T. is concerned. At least, not that Ive been able to find. Now a company can limit how you use their truck. My company gives us 20 miles per day. Many companies do not allow PC use of their trucks at all.

11. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    This is a weird scenario outlined in the guidance.

It clearly says you can use PC during your 10 or 34 and it is off duty but then it says you are subject to being stopped and inspected and that time would be on duty.

So you could be halfway through your 34 at a truck stop and decide to drive down the road to go eat at restaurant or pick up some things at a wal mart and you get pulled over and inspected and bam you have to restart your 34 all over again because they just made you on duty.

There are a bunch of things that don’t make a ton of sense in the DOT laws but the PC stuff has to be some of the goofiest with the vague wording and gotchas.

Attached Files:

Dieselboss and deathB4decaf Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.