Personal Conveyance

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scalemaster, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I have a question that arose today.

Driving south on Kansas I 35 tollway I pasted the exit for emporia when my drive time was up. So went to the shoulder 3 minutes later.

Did my post trip. Remarked PC 395.A,1
    Turned off tablet.
    Drove to next service south, no parking. Drove to service station in Eldorado and found parking at midnight.
    My question is what if I could not find parking until I paid toll at Wichita. I'm going to Dallas.
    Would I be breaking the law paying a toll?
    How upset would my carrier be?? Being that I will pay toll hoping to get reimbursed.

And what if I needed to get fuel while on PC for safe parking??

I forget to say yes I did not preplan as well as I could have. But I dont really give a hoot. My job is to make miles, and appointments, while driving. I'm not a trip planner, or HR personnel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Just because you run out of hours because you cannot find safe parking is not within the scope of the current very vague guidance. If you ran out of hours at a shipper or consignee, were not allowed to stay there then you can use PC to get to the nearest "safe parking", whatever the heck that means.

As far as breaking the law when you paid the toll. Yes, you were already breaking the law, the toll ticket or recorded EZ Pass record just confirmed it. So did the timers, engine data and GPS on your ELD.
    How upset is your carrier going to be? That depends on them. I know carriers that are abusing PC to beyond ridiculous proportions and are pretty much ignoring the HOS regulations because of the lack of flexibility combined with rigid enforcement. I also know of carriers that send out plenty of nasty grams for nit picking violations "Dear Driver X, you were 2 minutes 30 seconds over your required 8 hour break, if this pattern continues yada yada yada" But I don't know of anyone who has gotten fired because of even several minor violations over a several month period.
    Check your company to see if they have installed a new firing squad compound for violators in the back of the parking lot.

That is the spirit that made America great. I don't remember John Wayne ever saying to the rest of his crew "we have to stop attacking those Japs over there, it's time for our milk and cookies". That essentially is how we are being treated out here these days...

4. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Nothing better than watching a John Wayne movie, and having some milk, and cookies.

Rideandrepair and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    I think even when sleeping we are really on duty as a security guard of the equipment, and contents.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Oreos

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    @tucker lmao.

tucker Thanks this.
  8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    OMG, That man could not act, in every scene of every movie he is the exact same slow dull man.
    THAT’S NOT ACTING!!!!!
    When I watch a movie I want to laugh, I want to cry, I want to look behind my recliner for the killer.

With John Wayne there’s none of that.
    John Wayne and AC/DC, everything is exactly the same, all the time.

x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  9. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Fine by me.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    John Wayne is like a McDonald's hamburger. It isn't the greatest burger, but you know exactly what you are going to get, time after time....

11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.