Personal Hauling in A CMV

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Steamnsteel, Nov 11, 2017.

  1. Steamnsteel

    Steamnsteel Bobtail Member

    Jan 19, 2016
    I am moving my own belongings in a CMV with DOT and MC numbers, I thought that I saw guidance that by hauling non commerce I would not have to follow HOS or Log book requirements. I have looked and I cannot find the discussion here on the forum or the guidance on the FMCSA site. I am not trying to circumvent anything but will be moving some of my personal stuff and vehicles soon. Would I just need to place a not for hire sign on it or just roll it down the road.
  2. x1Heavy

    x1Heavy Road Train Member

    Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If the 18 wheeler is outright yours by ownership, you can label it private, not for hire. Your Numbers wont apply. Only if the property you haul is the contents of a house you own etc.

    Otherwise it gets a little complicating when borrowing a truck or even renting one big enough to make the move. Theoratically I could rent a 18 wheeler with a CDL and take off with it with a contents of my house moving somewhere. Just have to find a rental place with 18 wheelers. Ive had big box trucks with air brakes etc upwards of 30 feet before and that's pretty big when the house is only 42 feet long by 30 wide.
  3. BrandonCDLdriver

    BrandonCDLdriver Heavy Load Member

    Sep 1, 2017
    Well, if you think about it like this, it makes more sense.

    You need a CDL to operate a vehicle with a gross weight of over 26000lbs. A bobtail rig has a GVWR of more than that. Without a trailer it's like any other straight truck.

    You need a Class B as I understand it.

    Now I get confused, lets say you have a class E and you want to buy a bobtail just to own one. Do you need a commercial license to simply own and drive a bobtail that you own? Not for hire and not pulling a trailer.
  4. Rickp

    Rickp Medium Load Member

    Apr 14, 2016
    If over 16k you have to have a class A. My wife isnt supposed to drive when we pull the toyhauler cause she doesnt have class a.
  5. BrandonCDLdriver

    BrandonCDLdriver Heavy Load Member

    Sep 1, 2017
    Can you link me to this 16,000 number you came up with? Because you can rent a 24foot Uhaul and load it to the hilt, and it's more than 16k lbs and you don't need anything more than an E.
  6. ZVar

    ZVar Road Train Member

    Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    He cannot, as he's full of it.
    Federal regs state, and I believe all states follow..
    Class B - 26,001 or more. Trailer up to 10K
    Class B - Any placarded amount of hazmat
    Class B - Buses that tote around 16 or more people
    Class A, 26,001 or more - Trailer at 10,001 or more

    Now some states call a vehicle over 10 a cmv, for logging , dot number and med card reasons
    I know PA is something like 16,000 before it's a cmv, but even PA follows fed regs for class A and B
    I feel I'm missing another need for a Class B, but I can't think of it. In either case the weight ratings are correct.
    Dan.S and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  7. Cattleman84

    Cattleman84 Heavy Load Member

    Nov 1, 2017
    Not sure about other states but in Idaho there are some exceptions for having a CDL... The one that pops to mind (there may be more) is the ag exemption... S farmer or rancher owns a straight truck of 18 wheeler and needs to move his own stuff (crops, livestock, equipment, ECT.) He can put anyone behind the wheel with any class of license he wants as long as that truck doesn't go more than 150 air-miles from home base or cross state lines (unless adjacent state has an already standing agreement with Idaho to allow). But it MUST be FARMERS OWN STUFF, and most permits for the truck must still be purchased. It used to be very common for high school kids to drive under such circumstances, but is getting less and less as it seems kids just arent as mature as they used to be. That's how I first started out learning to drive a truck. I have seen NOT FOR HIRE signs taped to a few trucks with DOT numbers before but am unsure of the situations.
  8. Rickp

    Rickp Medium Load Member

    Apr 14, 2016
    Typo...meant 26
  9. Allow Me.

    Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

    May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    If you're a CMV driver, why not just "follow the rules" and keep a log etc ? I say this because any police agency will be confused in your situation and why confuse them ?
  10. Ridgeline

    Ridgeline Road Train Member

    Dec 18, 2011
    I agree, the op thinks what's being hauled allows it to stop being a commercial vehicle.

    Not for hire signs does not mean a thing, you are driving a commercial vehicle so everything applies.
    Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted