Personal use tractor

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Sasquatch308, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If he’s not doing anything for hire he’s not a motor carrier. People have trucks and trailers they take around the country to truck shows with no DOT number, only county plates from their home state.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Collie

Collie Guest

You sound angry. No need to be. Thank you for south dakota exemptions. Sources are great.
    As far as dot numbers go, sounds like he needs dot number unless the truck isnt registered fo over the gvw
    A USDOT number is required for a commercial motor vehicle (49 CFR Part 390.5), which is defined as any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate and/or intrastate commerce:

• to transport passengers or property when the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or

4. Collie

Collie Guest

m friend im just doing a bunch of googling. im bored. i cameup with all kinds of results and questions and answers from fmcsa website alone. I dont wnt to step on toes but theres a section on the not for hire myth and people doing hat they do for just show trucks and peple moving horses .
    YEah people get away with it and a cop would have to be a jerk to site sow trucks or ag haulers. But fmcsa says they require more than people are led to believe. But im gettingto technical and i appologise for that.

5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    He’s not involved in inter or intrastate commerce. He’s hauling his own stuff. The only reason I brought up the farm tags for his truck is because it would open up loopholes and probably make it easier to get his stuff to the new state. Each state is different with their exemptions. MT and NE are two close to me that I know do require a DOT number over a certain weight rating.

If you really want to make your head spin, google the rules for harvest crews. I think you can be 16 with no CDL and drive truck for a harvest crew.

6. Collie

Collie Guest

hey bro, my head was spinning doing all that googling i was doing. So unfortunately i give up and you win by TKO. It was fun doing battle though. FYI, i can see i was losin anyhow.
    See you around the forums

7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Most people have no idea what you can do with a “farm truck”. Only reason I know the South Dakota stuff is I was born and raised there. And don’t kid yourself, plenty of for hire stuff goes down with a farm truck and it’s pretty frustrating to everyone else that is trying to stuff correctly when it comes to hauling for hire.

Collie Thanks this.
  8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    right tag and right reg. you can ride on.

Collie Thanks this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    In Georgia at a DOT ag program they said:
    1: You do not need a DOT number for a tractor trailer as long as you are hauling your own stuff in the state. If you have a 1 ton used as a passenger vehicle a DOT number is required as soon as you cross a state line.
    2: There are special ag licenses still being honored. Getting new ones will be phased out.
    3: You need your truck registered as a covered farm vehicle. You can do that on line.

Farm, personal use and RV are three different things. Long FLD has a lot of good points but good luck on getting any and or proper information over the phone. I would document their name and everything else.

The equipment is no problem at all. Even exempt for over width within guide lines Ga.

Rideandrepair and ZVar Thank this.
  10. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Just make sure you have insurance too and I bet that will be fun as to what it is covered as.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think I’d run that one over the weekend. Preferably at night. Even all legal, All it takes is one bored Officer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.