Pete 367 CB questions

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wp77, Apr 20, 2017.

1. wp77

wp77 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm moving into a Peterbilt 367 day cab dump truck and trailer. The truck has the factory cobra 29 held into an overhead console. I have a Galaxy 95t that I want to put in the truck. Obviously it won't fit into the factory console. I like to have the cb on the dash, but the dash is too high in this truck for that. Has anybody else dealt with this before? I believe the cabs are the same in the 367, 389 etc. If I take the console with the 29 down, can I just bolt the galaxy bracket to the roof?

My second question is on antennas. The truck has dual mirror antennas, 3 foot firestick type antennas. I believe there is a multiplexor and the am/fm radio uses the same cb antennas, as there is no other visible antenna on the truck. I would just run my single predator on the back of the cab for the cb, but the dump box has an extension which overlaps the back 1/3 of the cab, so this is not possible. I know it's best to eliminate the multiplexor. Any other ideas? I appreciate any feedback.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    unless your running big power or doin alot of sidebanding then i wouldnt bother with the 10k...Slap a cpl taller fibreglass ant on it and call it a day..

4. wp77

wp77 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    I know that I can leave it the way it is. I'm looking for ways to mount my galaxy and bypass the multiplexor. Anybody have any experience with this?

5. Dirtymartini15x

Dirtymartini15x Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Check on the top of the passenger side door if you have the spot mirror or the holes for the spot mirror. They sell a birdperch mount for that. Then mount your antenna and a new piece of coax. Then take the 29 out of the hole drill two small holes and mount your bracket and tap into the power wires above for power.

6. wp77

wp77 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. Do you mean drill holes in the factory cb holder and then hang mine from underneath it, or take it off and then drill into the roof?

7. Dirtymartini15x

Oct 18, 2016
    Drill through the bottom of the cubby and hang yours underneath.

8. wp77

wp77 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2015
    I like this idea. I just need to make sure that my radio won't be hanging too low, but I think it will work. I'll definitely check this out Monday when I'm at work.

On the antenna issue, your idea of the perch would definitely work. I kind of don't want the look of one big cb antenna on the side though. I'm thinking I would like to use the dual mirror mounts with new coax and quality antennas. Do you think I could mount an external am/fm antenna to the perch, eliminating the multiplexor?

9. Dirtymartini15x

Oct 18, 2016
    Unless you tear the entire truck apart you won't be able to run new coax to the mirrors. Don't worry about what it looks like, do what works best.

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I leave my Galaxy 95t at home in the radio shack. If you run the galaxy without removing the companies cobra it will destry the frontend in the cobra.
    You also need to run the power leads of the Galaxy to the battery not the firewall connections because of current draw.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    My truck has separate antennas for the cobra and the broadcast radio.

wp77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.