Pete 389. Parking brake won't release, please help

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Just.Do.It, Sep 2, 2019.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Those are simple push to connect air fittings that any dealer should carry. Take them off and replace them yourself nothing complicated.

Just.Do.It Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Just.Do.It

Just.Do.It Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Tampa FL
    It is Saturday ,again.. ) Dealers probably closed. I am on I80W, past Reno NV, not many services here.
    I never had a chance to replace these connectors. One looks broken, the bigger one on the air tank, plastic ring is cracked. To disconnect it, I have to push that ring, or pull out?

4. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Pull it out.

Just.Do.It Thanks this.
  5. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Yes, push the ring down then pull the airline. A lot of the time you'll have to make a fresh cut on the airline when using a new fitting. Obviously cut it as straight as possible.

I'd recommend anytime you buy a replacement air fitting to always buy an extra so that next time you'll have one on hand for those emergency situations. It's a lot cheaper than having to call out a service truck.

foggy and Just.Do.It Thank this.
  6. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Something like this is good to have in your toolbox. For cutting airline. 418qwS0MkdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Just.Do.It Thanks this.
  7. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Theres a fleetpride in Sacramento off 80 if your passing through that way on Monday. They carry various airline connections.

Just.Do.It Thanks this.
  8. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    What I meant was push on collar, pull on line. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

Just.Do.It Thanks this.
  9. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I guess I am stunned that two different mechanics couldn’t figure out where the air was leaking from?
    Great learning lesson here so let us know on Monday if you get the new fittings and the issue is fixed.

foggy and Just.Do.It Thank this.
  10. Just.Do.It

Just.Do.It Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Tampa FL
    First guy was inexperienced mechanic, obviously. The other guy was good, he identified the issue - failed QR1 valve, and replaced it. I was able to release parking brakes right after he was done. I suspect, that in the process he disturbed a lot of air hoses, some started leaking air. I counted 3 fittings that need replacement ASAP. See, this is a car hauler, they have a stupid design of the exhaust, where all hot gases from it go right under the truck. Not to the side or up high like normal trucks. Exhaust ends about three feet before front drive axel, exactly where the primary air tank and bunch of hoses are located ( and the QR1 valve) . Plastic and rubber get dry overtime, start leaking air. Stupidest design ever. I have to replace this exhaust pipe, get one that goes to the side. Sometimes even the drive axle gets overheated, because its to close to the pipe..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    speedyk and BigBob410 Thank this.
  11. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Peterbilt actually figured this issue out and side exhaust now. Just read the whole thread and a lot of good info. Glad the 2nd guy figured it out. The first guy was a parts chucker for sure!

Just.Do.It Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.