Pete won’t start again

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Loaderlou, Sep 25, 2020.

1. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    A good place to start. Going to take some time and alil money, but one of the cheapest, easiest thing you can do.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The mt 39’s need a good ground to work good. If the mounting bolts are not giving it a good enough ground you may need to add another 4 ga. ground strap from starter body straight to engine block and maybe a second one to the frame also.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  4. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    That’s a good idea SP, I’ll try that. I didn’t have to change my starter because it’s doing the same thing As my old one. But it didn’t hurt to change it since it was original. How bout I mount the ground to one of the mounting bolts and then to the bell housing. I think my next step is changing my battery cables. Not a fun job but I’ll get it done. I guess sooner or later I’ll find the problem. But I’m still open to suggestions

5. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Also I find my negative studs to be loose. Well not loose but I was able to turn them a quarter of a turn on a couple of occasions where as the positives were tight. Should I clean the threaded stud of the dielectric grease, then tighten the nut and add the grease to coat it?

6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    There should be a 1/2 or 12 mm threaded stud that either comes straight out of the end of it or the side of the body on some applications. That is the ground lug. Doing it from the bolts is usually a pain because the wires will try to twist when tightened and tend to get oily there.
    The negative studs being loose alone could be the cause of all your troubles.
    Do you happen to have an analog clock in your dash that started running slow? That was a good indication of ground issues on the older Petes that had that option.

7. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi Small Package. I don’t have an analogical clock unfortunately. But everything works as it should, my radio and teltek clocks are in sync and accurate with my cell phone clock. I probably have enough ground for that but when it comes to starting that’s where it’s lacking I guess. I’m guessing there must be a lot of corrosion in the cables. How long do you think a set of cables lasts. I’m in the NE and work salt every winter

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.