Peterbilt adding surcharge after orders placed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kay_ray, Aug 3, 2021.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yeah.. And now the prices are up. 10k. Off the websites.

One dealer is selling for twice over dodge.com website.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The chip shortage for EVERYTHING started with the pandemic. Then a plant fire. Now floods.

You can't order chips if they aren't there to order.

It's not just cars. It's EVERYTHING.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I got the phone call today. I was told Peterbilt needs to move 3000 trucks nationwide to a build date next year. If I want to keep my October build date it’s $1500. If you volunteer to wait then there’s no $1500 surcharge and you get a 2023 model year. He did say that I should be fine with my October build date, it’s the Nov and Dec guys that are taking a chance on getting bumped if they don’t volunteer to wait.

5. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    Salesman has a “buddy” who wants his spot. He’s trying to get him to get his money back and walk. Dealer is trying to piss off OP on purpose.

Vampire and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Just talked to a friend of mine with 2 trucks in order from a different dealer than where I ordered mine and he was told the same thing yesterday. $1500 per truck to keep his spot.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I smell lawsuit.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    A couple months ago I toyed with the idea of trading off my low milage mint 2010 impala ltz on a newer Nissan altima ....same dealer I bought my silverado from .
    The numbers they shot me were insane and I told them to call me back when they're lot is packed with lease and rental returns ....and the repos that people way over payed for and will be upside down on .
    Haven't heard a word from them since .

Grumppy, mjd4277, Speed_Drums and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Why would there be a lawsuit? If you don’t want to pay the surcharge to keep your spot you’re free to walk away and get any deposit money back. Nobody is forcing you to pay the money to keep your spot.

10. tbac

tbac Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Is there a piece of paper from the dealer that you signed when you placed the order? What does it say about changing price and / or delivery? That piece of paper is a valid contract (offer, acceptance, and consideration (money)) and is enforceable. If it says nothing about the ability of the dealer to change the price or delivery, he must live up to the deal. It probably lets the delivery change due to Force Majeure, i.e., events beyond his control and a factory delay would be one of these events. The price should be the price unless there is an escalation clause. Read your contract and you will know where you stand.

11. kay_ray

kay_ray Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Well i called the dealership again today to get to the bottom of this .talked to the sales manager and he told me that paccar have blocked all orders nationwide for 2-3 weeks. New pricing will be coming shortly . And then they will get new slots so if i try to book a slot again my truck will be built in july 2022 and will prob pay around 4 to 5k extra for the same build.1500 doesnt sound bad anymore.

TheLoadOut, Jarhed1964 and Long FLD Thank this.
  12. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You really need to spend $100 and have a contract lawyer go over the contract. Could end up being cheaper than keep paying several add on fees.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.