Petroleum tanker newb

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Larryfisher, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Larryfisher

Larryfisher Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Small local company is offering 15hr for training period of 3months and company pay for the job tops out at 18hr
    Would like opinions please.
    I'm coming in with my hazmat tanker and Twic but zero experience fresh out of school.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, that seems a little low for tanker these days, but to get your foot in the door with a tanker outfit is a pretty good deal. Ask anyone, tanker the best gig in trucking, but hard to get into ( because nobody ever quits) Be careful, nice and slow, watch the turns, and I bet you never do any other kind of trucking again.

slim shady Thanks this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Its a start, but like @"semi" retired says low for that kind of work
    What part of the country are you located in?

5. Larryfisher

Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks for the input if nothing else I thought I could tuff it out for six months and try to find greener grass.

slim shady Thanks this.
  6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    You'll find greener grass,
    Seems pretty hard to find tanker drivers, it's like nobody wants to pull them?

7. Ranger309

Ranger309 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I started out hauling fuels many years ago. Make sure the tanks will take all your fuel. Make sure each compartment is properly marked and how many gallons they hold. Don't let anyone get near you with a cigarette/lighter and ground everything. Remember that tankers have a high center of gravity when loaded, so slow on the turns. Lots of cushion space, cause getting burned ain't fun.

You need to be right there, if you need to close the valves. Pilot lights in campers and RV's can be an ignition source. Can you back up a truck and trailer? You'll need to at some places. You'll need
    rubber gloves, a safety light after dark and safety cones. No steel/iron. Aluminum and brass only.

Do a good job, then move on when you can. $18 bucks an hour tops is low wages to haul fuels.

slim shady Thanks this.
  8. Larryfisher

Sep 8, 2017
    Really appreciate all this information folks.

Ranger309 Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You'll receive plenty of training three months correct?Hauling petroleum isn't for everyone I didn't like it but you may.Talk to your boss about paying extra for loading and unloading.

10. Larryfisher

Sep 8, 2017
    Talked to him already.
    I still need to test drive for him.
    He has no interest in paying any more for anything.
    I'm also going to apply with logging outfits they start at 18 and OT after 40.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    When you apply its wise to see what their safety rating and equipment is like.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.