Pic one company & explain why.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by InfiniteTruth, Jan 14, 2019.

Pick one company & pick one cargo type.

Poll closed Jan 18, 2019.
  1. Swift Transportation

20.0%
  2. US Xpress

20.0%
  3. Dry Van

60.0%
  4. Reefer

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. InfiniteTruth

InfiniteTruth Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2019
    C'mon guys! A little class & maturity would be great! Please serious replies only! If you have not personally driven for either company specifically, then there is no need to respond to the thread.

Please only answer this thread if you've PERSONALLY driven for one or both of these companies. Dry van or reefer options only! Then tell me out of dry van or reefer...which do you recommend & why?

If a person could ONLY choose between going with Swift or US Xpress as a starter student company to train for to get CDL & drive for which one would you choose & why if home time IS NOT a big issue. Dry van or reefer type runs only.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I worked for Arnold Transportation which was owned by US Xpress. We used their trailers and used their breakdown line, their customers, etc.

It was bad. I liked Werner better which isn’t saying much. They would give me a 150 mile load and that would be it for the whole day. Granted US Xpress is way bigger than Arnold ever was. I would go Swift and only US Xpress if you could get on a dedicated Walmart or something.

As far as reefer or dry van, always prefer dryvan. Reefer is noisy, harder to sleep with noise and vibrations, have to fill diesel tanks when dropping trailers, always have crappier customers like grocery warehouses, less drop and hook, and you have to get trailer washouts sometimes.

InfiniteTruth Thanks this.
  4. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    I vote reefer. It doesn't give you hangovers like likker

5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Ha!! Then you don’t have to worry about dry van, just dry mouth. At least that’s what I’ve been told :rolleyes:

BCV Thanks this.
  6. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    I started at Swift pulling reefer and it sucked ###. That's all the advice I can give you. I only lasted six months.

Good luck.

7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Lets stay on topic at least until the OP gets some solid answers please.

Sirscrapntruckalot, REO6205 and d o g Thank this.
  8. InfiniteTruth

Jan 14, 2019
    Ok, but respectfully that answer isn't very descriptive about what you didn't like. Was it driving reefer? Was it the miles? Was it your dispatch or DM? What specifically about your experience wasn't good with Swift?

TheRealPorkChopExpress Thanks this.
  9. BIGLEFTYINTX

BIGLEFTYINTX Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Us express, if I recall starting pay isn't very good . For that reason , I'd pick swift . Check into prime

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If you put Swift , England, USX, Knight, CRST or any other driver mill into a dark room you would not know the difference.
    There are normally better options than signing a contract for a license. But if your too lazy to put in the leg work, sign on you will get a license.
    The big difference is if you get an actual driver as a trainer not a 6 month wonder, and that has no reflection on the company they all put new drivers out as trainers.
    Get your own license go beat them bushes and find a company that willtake you on, but its up to you to put in the effort.

11. InfiniteTruth

Jan 14, 2019
    I did try them but they turned me down. SMH

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.