Picked up a hitchhiker annnd got randomly inspected.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DirtyhandsMcgee, Feb 3, 2018.

1. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I think people and companies that are so in fear of litigation that they lose their moral compass are just as bad as those filing frivolous lawsuits.
    We have to fight this stuff not just accept it and say "oh well".
    And yes if a company fires a good driver doing a good deed because they fear litigation then they should criticized

DSK333, Truckermania and Lite bug Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You can twist this into any form you desire. However you can not change how things are. Insurance carriers dictate how things are done. Even the average car owner has to be careful who they allow to drive the car because of fear of the insurance company. In today's world any business owner that does not respect how bad things can go south in regard to litigation etc etc is an idiot. As has been stated by me 3 times now in this thread as well as others, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS TODAY. Make a cell phone call to 911 or make a QC message to dispatch to call for you. There simply is no excuse today to do this.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    And as I stated before, relying on the government to fix everything is why we have big government in the first place.
    The police and other first responders are there for real emergencies and should not be used to help a motorist who ran out of gas at an inopportune moment when a fellow citizen could help by taking only a few minutes out of his day.
    Laying down is not the answer and change comes from the bottom up not the top down.
    If we want change it starts today with OUR actions as individuals.
    What should the megas do?
    The next time they get hit with one of these ######## lawsuits they should fight like hell instead of settle even though that might hurt the bottom line today, we will get a better society in the future.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Someone's desire to get to California hollywood because she is too pretty to get a job serving people at the home diner. Is not a emergency.

Two people down on the side of a burning road in death valley because they only brought one little bottle of water between them (Too heavy to carry water...) now that makes it necessary to render aid.

Ive done what I can many times. The key is I have absolutely NO regrets about my actions in a mode of helping someone in some way. We had a fall not long ago at the local gas station and it was during our -30 cold snaps not too long ago. I grabbed a blanket walked over and offered it to the nice Policeman standing protection over that person. He pointed at the ambulance coming on sirens quiet.

Im no hero and some of the things Ive done to help simply do not exist. I will deny it to my dying day. But help was given in some particularly useful way. But you cannot always help. When someone is trapped and burning in a vehicle with firemen and thier tools coming but not fast enough... All you can do is pray and take solace that in some certain mechanism of the human body to destroy the nerves and then impose a loss of self aware (Passed out) so that person did not suffer too much prior to death.

I do deliberately have a pair and tell certain persons off. Panhandlers and things of that sort. I had a kid come into the Kansas City Truckstop in the north part of the city (Now razed...) and stuck his finger into my meal. That little parasite managed to push my buttons. And while I sit there considering a nice wallow into a viciously administered violence and just before exploding, the manager ran up and say I'll take care of this. Cops coming. Here have this drink. Don't please don't... we fix this. Just calm.

Somehow reason won out and I am pretty happy it did. I don't know that manager from adam but he was fairly good in assessing what was about to develop.

Another time a lady got hit, lost her plastic bumper attachment on her BMW or something, something rusted out. Anyway the GWB approach southbound was totally and utterly snarled because of this one lady. I had lost 6 hours moving 1/2 mile to get to where she was. 6 stupid hours. I don't know how but it is what it is.

Another driver was already getting out his pipe. The ow kind, that delivers a bonus lights out. As big as he was, as angry as he was it was not a good story. But that little woman managed to keep him just so with soothing quiet words. The louder he got prior to deflating the softer and more love she spoke.

As it turned out she was literally working for a living as a social worker specifically to deal with domestic violence.

I tell you what. Its a good day on the GWB after all. No one got knots.

6. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    yes

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You keep introducing topics that are not germane to the main topic. After this i'm out of it. First of all I agree about big government. However I completely disagree about law enforcement and first responders. It is PRECISELY their jobs to help stranded motorists by calling the on call wrecker service and/or depending on where you are the State Highway help service. In almost every situation people are advised to stay with their vehicle anyway. I know some cops State, county and city. I have discussed this topic with them many times. When they see a stranded vehicle most will stop and give assistance. However if they don't see anybody with the car they will post a card on the window warning the owner to move it by a date put on the card and leave, sometimes they will return or make a request for someone else in the area to check on it. If you run into a person stranded and they live anywhere close they can use your phone and call for help. If you are concerned for their safety stay with them. I have did this many times in my truck and my POV. As to the rest of your post it is not germane to this topic and I rather just ignore it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sometimes to have someone stay silent over something felt strongly about, the very rocks should cry out.

I have a hard time crayoning between the lines of a subject topic myself.

I don't mind corrections, insight, opinions and life experiences that sometimes flower a thread for lack of a better comparison.

I do hope that you are well and stick around a little while. We all enjoy what you have to say.

9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm not leaving TTR, just the ridiculous way this topic has morphed.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Fishdude

Fishdude Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Right on P J . Thanks for helping others. I do the same. Why? Because that's the way I was raised also. Truckers used to be known as the 'Knights of the Road". Too bad society has 'evolved' to the point that we are forbidden to help others in need. Granted, there have been some idiots in the past that have taken advantage of the fact that you could count on a Trucker to help you in a dangerous/desperate situation. Just be safe brother, when doing good deeds. I rely on my gut a lot. But, then again, when I see the panhandler with the sign "I won't lie, I need a beer" he'll end up with a six pack for being honest about it.

DSK333, x1Heavy, Lite bug and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.