Picked up a trouble partial load

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jacoooooooo, May 10, 2018.

1. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hello everyone.
    This morning I picked up a partial load from Indiana, going to California.
    I run a step deck trailer, my main deck was already fully loaded (40’x8’x9’6”). Had my upper deck for that partial load, which broker sold as 2-piece load, 10ft needed, tarps, air ride.
    When I arrived for pick up, they said that there is an extra 16ft long bar. I didn’t have space for it on my trailer, but upon agreeing with the broker and the shipper I strapped it to the trailer frame just to take this load. Of course they also loaded 2 pieces (machines) on the deck.
    It took me almost 2h to secure and tarp everything, with the very entertained audience of (very kind) shipper’s employees in the background.
    So I left and after 2.5h of driving broker called my dispatcher and informed that they forgot 1 piece (this would be a piece number 4 on a load that I booked as 2-piece affair) and asked that I come back and pick it up.
    I refused, it was too far and it would destroy my hos for this week (effectively next one’s too as a result). They did want to pay extra (I don’t know how much, it never came to that point), but I have a monday appointment for my main load delivery, and this bs would set me back 1 day.
    Now the broker is saying that we didn’t use all 10ft od the deck (please mind the 16ft bar that they added), so he is not going to pay us, because his customer is not going to pay him for incomplete shipment.
    While I do undetstand that #### happens and I would really come back if I was up to 1h away, I was just too far by the time they contacted us.
    What do you think guys, how should I protect myself with this? I really don’t see my fault here...

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Do you need the upper deck for your next load?

Offer to ride around with it until you are in the area of the shipper once again to return it. No harm no foul. Could be a while...

You already are doing more than the agreed 2 pieces. The onus is on the broker and the shipper. They should have had their act together in the first place for 4 pieces and exact dimensions before finding a suitable truck. Yours is not suitable but you did the best you could figuring a way for what you thought was a 3rd and final piece. Now they want to wreck your time and your money load. F that.

4. Jacoooooooo

Oct 20, 2013
    I may not need the upper deck for my load out of Cali, but I won’t be going to Indiana, and my folowing loads MAY or may not require that space (both dimension and weight wise).
    Thanks for the idea though.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    So since they're not going to pay, it comes off at the next place with a forklift and an extra five minutes, tell them where their craps at and don't ever haul a load for them again. The other way is since they're not going to pay you anyway look at it as tax write off and add 15% to the bill every time you send them one.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are not being serious, are you?

YES it is your fault.

You should have said to your dispatcher "hey I am not taking this" and leave.

EDIT - wait you have a dispatcher?

I thought you are an owner?

ZVar and spyder7723 Thank this.
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I'd complete the delivery make dam sure the BOL was signed and handprinted with plenty of pictures etc for documentation of freight condition then file a claim on their bond. You did your part as per the rate con the rest is their problem. Who was the broker?

xsetra, Dave_in_AZ, Expeditor and 3 others Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Hard thing..., I was once dispatched with partials to CA but it turned out that two skids were going to to WI , I was in IA - 3 hours away when they called me and I came back. They paid for the trouble not as much as I wanted but there was no time to argue or play tough. What would I have done with 2 skids in CA, can't reload, can't get rid of? Also time was of essence, even though paper logs were in use.
    In this case the freight direction is all right, they just have to send one more piece...can't the broker arrange for that?

Dave_in_AZ, Tug Toy and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  9. Jacoooooooo

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks for your honest opinion

I do own my truck. What I don’t own is a transportation authority, so I pay % for dispatch.

This might be the best idea. Thank you.
    I prefer not to disclose the broker’s name before this mess ends. If they delivere on their promise of not paying me, I will.

Tb0n3, Dave_in_AZ, dunchues and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Jacoooooooo

Oct 20, 2013
    Sure they can. It will probably eat their profit though. Which I understand. I don’t like working for free either, but I can’t make up for other people’s mistakes sometimes... You are a good man for turning around 3h into the trip. I salut you, but mu choice was also between doing my 34 somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Arizona, or spending the weekend with my other half (after five weeks on the road).
    If I was on paper, I’d go back for that piece and still be In CA before Monday.

11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    To me, the big picture here is you have other appointments to make. If you don't make them because you decided to go back you'll pay in ways that aren't obviously monetary. Your reputation and word/agreements are what keeps you making money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.