Picked up a trouble partial load

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jacoooooooo, May 10, 2018.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Guess it's just me but you say we're all chasing pennies I'm guessing partial added another buck a mile or so to his load, now yes that is technically pennies but so is a million bucks if you want to be that way.

TallJoe and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks for your input. All on point.
    I wasn’t necessarily happy with the extra piece to begin with, but having gone the extra miles out of my way I decided to at last give it a try. You know, as a ‘step-decker’ I have many things under my trailer, spare tires, ramps, boards, coil racks, etc. it didn’t seem too much of a hassle to take it for the sake of getting that load, but of course I considered it a favor from me to the broker.

When they called with another piece, I flat out refused. Than they started with all the threats not to pay. Idk, maybe the broker guy was just testing what he can pull on us, to get me turned around. Mind you, it’s over 2k miles run for that partial, so it will probably cost him more to ship the last piece with another truck, than what he got for it.
    While I try to understand this, my stance here is that I myself made many mistakes in my life, but I always paid for them, never tried to work others into taking the hard hit for me.
    I haven’t heard back from them about the cross dock, so I plan to deliver like nothing ever happened.
    If they have any decency they should pay.

SL3406, DSK333, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  4. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    If rate con says 2 pieces, deliver load and make them sign for all 3 pieces that you did take then file on their bond.. f-em.. just make sure you are covered rate con wise and signed bol wise.. good luck

rabbiporkchop, Tug Toy and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Could have been shipper trying to scam you and broker.

When broker found out he sided with his customer.

I had a 2 piece partial. Along my trip. I was 5 miles from customer. Broker calls said they now have more pieces can it fit.
    I said maybe if we rearrange my load. She said no.. illI pay you TONU.

That's a broker I call when possible..
    Good luck

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Opendeck, magoo68, rda2580 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The original order did fit.
    No lies by the op.

Tug Toy and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  7. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    10ft partial IN to CA tarped,thats at least $1000 on the cheap side.there’s no way im delivering it without getting paid first.sorry broker this shipement just became COD.i had brokers fedex me money orders and wire transfer money for problem loads like this.

rabbiporkchop, DSK333 and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    It's the broker who was doing the lying. the extra piece that was 16' long most certainly didn't fit.

PPDCT and DSK333 Thank this.
  9. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    That's fine as long as you end with 'and then I'll file on their bond immediately'. Giving them 30 days to muddy the water isn't a good idea. By then the customer will have paid them. If they push back at all bill their customer.

Dude these spots are something some of us have been in a lot of. I've dealt with a lot more scumbags than you have, and if there's one thing I'm 10000% sure of it's that if you give these people an inch they will take everything within three feet of the inch you gave them.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Yea maybe send a bill to the broker and customer just to cover all the bases. This sort of stupid crap happens and it can be difficult to get your money sometimes.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    First what does the BOL say?
    If it has only the 3 pieces on it. You have whats on the BOL end of story. Shipper, broker pay the load.

If the shipper missed putting the load together correctly, and making sure they shipped complete. That problem is all on them.

Deliver the product as scheduled. When at the receiver, ask to speak to the supervisor and the purchasing manager, have a quick discussion about the situation with them. My guess is you will get paid.

Any additional communication with broker is now text or email.

Make sure you have copies of all the paper work.
    The signed BOL is no1. That will be needed when you file a claim against the broker.

Last. Never take something extra on a verbal agreement. Updated rate sheet or no.
    And it goes like this

Ok, here is the extra, it will be X$ more, you have 30 minutes to email the updated rate sheet.
    No sheet in that time, I need to move on, and you will need to find another truck for the load.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    SL3406 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.