"Pickup trucks needed"........

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by homeskillet, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    RV's are not the worst paying freight niche in the world if you have a low-pro trailer or a haul & tow truck.

Single pull just does not pay enough to justify a $50-60k new truck but that is what a lot of guys that don't know any better go out and do. You'll never get that thing paid off before it starts to fall apart around you but a lot of guys don't figure that out until 2-3 years into it when they've got a worn out truck they still owe 2-3 years of payments on. That is what the RV outfits count on to get their freight moved...guys who cant figure that out. The other toss of the coin is a guy like me with an older paid off truck who was curious to try it but has to fight like mad to keep the truck on the road and suffer the consequences of being broken down if you cant. Single pull should pay more like $1.60-1.75/mi and guys would do "okay" or "fair".

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    By the way I don't live like an animal when out on the road in my little truck any more so than I did driving a big one. Sure a stand up sleeper with a bunk heater is more comfortable but other than that it is the same game. I shower every night and keep my truck washed and organized and sleep fine with the truck off unless it is ridiculous cold.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Heh yeah and you need a brand new truck less than 3 years old to make that great money...

5. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    That’s not entirely true. Most of them have a 10 year age cutoff but will make exceptions if you have a nice truck older than that even.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Oh really.. I think I called Horizon was the only one I knew of doing it and they told me 3 years old was their cut off. Then they told me the rate and I was like.. humm no thank you..

7. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    They all pay about the same but Horizon I think is the largest and probably has the strictest rules. Indiana Transport is another one of the bigger players. Wave Express is one of the newer ones I think. CWRV just went under.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.