Pilot has changed again

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by revelation1911, Apr 29, 2012.

1. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Pilot will take debit for gas purchase's and it's one price cash, credit or debit. ALL diesel transactions are considered credit even if you want to use debit meaning a .06 surcharge over the posted cash price. The goverenment capped debit fees at either .35 or .40 cents per transaction period. It's just like cash. The main reason I use pilot is pump start it saves like fifteen minutes per stop, sometimes more depending on lottery tickets sales?
    I don't mind using comchek but I never know the amount cause the pricing now. after a certain amount you have to pay a fee and I like my tickets to be a even dollar amount it makes qaurterly taxes easier.
    Yesterday I was cashing a comchek and I was a couple gallons short getting the minimum purchase and they was going to charge me nearly 6.00 fee.
    I took my check back from cashier and paid cash and left if i'm going to have to take the extra fifteen minutes on a fuel stop it won't be in pilot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Loves won't let me add gallons for a free shower and my truck has a 40 gallon tank. pilot, j's and ta's have a expeditor card program.
    I think NE fuel burns quicker and winter blend burns faster too.
    weather (wind) conditions and load profile management get me better milage.
    In Roanoake Va this A.M. after nearly a 1,000.00 this week with pilot I voted with my money
    the fueling nozzle in tank has TA on it today.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Here's how you get over. You find out which stations are using hot fuel correction pumps. Then you buy you fuel there in the summer and you buy your winter fuel at a stop where they do not correct for temperature. At the year end you'd be shocked to see how much fuel you get for free.

AM77 Thanks this.
  5. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Who has hot fuel correcting pumps? How can I find out?

Roadmedic and MNdriver Thank this.
  6. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Checked the spread sheet, 2011 savings of cash purchases.

7. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

You can count on advertising when they do install them.
    Four of the larger companies have settled the lawsuit and they are Shell,BP,ConocoPhillips, and Casey's General Stores. I know from the past that the oil companies do go to extremes to show the public how fair they are. That's where the advertisement comes in. I would bet that the pumps will be marked somewhere telling you the pump is temperature correcting.

What I recommend is going to 1 of the 4 companies listed above in about a month or so and look at any pump then ask. I do not think by law they can change the quantity of dispensed fuel and not tell you. They notify you by listing what the pump is on the pump. It's just like with they add ethanol or state the octane. I will find out for sure.

8. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    I try to fuel at Love's when my company will allow it. There are only a few locations that they will let us, otherwise it is Pilot or Flying J. Back in the day of comchecks, I would ask if I was getting the cash price. If not, I would take the comcheck and go across the street and buy fuel...right in front of them.

The chain drive wallet...used to be functional rather than fashionable. But then so was a lose leaf logbook. People net now has me with my feet nailed to the floor.

9. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Don't get in a hurry. I just read the settlement and these companies are joining to take 5 years to change all their pumps. But if you do find one just remember you'll want to fill there when it's cold and not when it's hot. They are saying you might be able to save 1 quart of fuel if it's like 40 degrees out. If all the stations go to it then you're going to receive less in the summer and more in the winter. There will be times that you will loose fuel and you'll have no idea where it when. It went up in vapors and reduced in volume. And only the people in the know will know how to get over on the system if we can.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'm confused now. In your first post you said to fuel at pumps on hot days or in the summer time where the pump has a meter that corrects for hot fuel but in the winter fuel where they don't have the meters to correct for it. Which jives with common sense but seems like you're saying the exact opposite in this second post I quoted???

11. Cheap Weenie

Cheap Weenie Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2010
    How can you not know if you're getting cash price on the pump meter or not?

Step 1: Look at the big sign out front with the big $ number on it.
    Step 2: Look at the pump with the little $ screen on it.
    Are they the same?

Rollover the Original Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.