Pilot Sturbridge Ma

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by ‘Olhand, Aug 10, 2021.

1. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Whomever designed that place...needs to be taken out and beaten...Almost impossible to get out of without waitin thru a 4 deep fuel island

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Used to be a really nice place. Every stop Pilot buys turns to crap. Nothing new there.

4. Whatagal

Whatagal Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    My current employer only allows us to fuel at Pilot/Flying J.

It's torture! Cramped lots not made for 53 footers, showers with mildew in them. You're lucky if you get hot water in them & the rooms themselves are barely big enough to turn around in. Long lines for check-out. Don't even get me started on that rotten pizza they sell!

It appears to me that Love's biggest competitors have been forced to consolidate with each other in order to stay in business. I would say "in order to compete", but there is no comparison, and therefore no competition.

Pilot, in particular, appears to be practically giving fuel away in the form of fleet discounts, at the expense of being able to budget for things lot lot repair, pump repair & salaries. I say "salaries" because so many of their shower cleaning people don't do a great job, they don't have enough people to empty trash cans or pick up trash in the lots & they rarely have enough cashiers.

Just my opinions. I have actually heard of drivers who LOVE Pilots.

NavigatorWife, Team818 and navypoppop Thank this.
  5. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019

6. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    kemosabi,

Do you remember when before Pilot bought Sturbridge the large building was open? That was the largest building I have ever seen in any travel center. What a shame to let it go to waste.

7. Team818

May 5, 2019
    I don't know how they get drivers to do that job in MA, CT, RI, NYC, NJ, Thank goodness I don't have too. Wow. What a Nightmare.

They want the "new immigrants" to put up with it after all the citizen truckers retire or resign. So, Who cares right? Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway is closing in on taking complete command of pp-let. So the employees of pp-let are just waiting for the axe to drop.

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    They had a decent restaurant with a small bar. Downstairs there was a place that sold sandwiches and pizza and an ice cream shop. Tables inside and out to sit at. I'm sure there were other shops but I don't remember what they were. This was in the late 90s, early 2000s. I haven't been in that part of the country since the last part of 2004, but I was disappointed when I heard how Pilot screwed it up.

9. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    It’s all about $$ with us...LTL rates average $7 a mile plus fsc....Course I’m not there more than 24 hours and can sleep at customers quietly
    As for Sturbridge..it’s recently rebuild completely and it’s just an absurd design...
    The original Sturbridge Isle was great...even after Peelot took over it wasn’t awful getting in/out....this new one is just absurd
    But live and learn I reckon

10. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Recent rebuild? As in how recent? It's been a hot minute since I've been out there, just curious as to what's "new".

11. Team818

May 5, 2019
    Well. IMO. They can have that. Actually there are a whole LOT of places I avoid, and I mean for the rest of my life already. seattle, portland, chicrapo, just go outside of atlanta, and then there are too many to list, that I avoid during rush hours dependin on you direction in or out of there. We need more than 70 hours a week now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.