Pinellas Technical College

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by wfutch79, May 29, 2017.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I did some research on them when you first mentioned J&R, and they seem quite stellar, especially for what you are looking for, and where you live. Of course your DAC is clean; the fact they pulled it to check looks promising!!! :yes2557:

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wfutch79

wfutch79 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    If anyone is considering attending Pinellas Technical College in the Commercial Vehicle Driving Program, whether it be Class A or Class B ... do yourself a favor and sign up immediately!

Laura Kingsland and Mary O'Keefe are the main instructors. Tom ( forgot his last name ) and Steve Villano are the testers. Tom does a little instruction as well, mainly with the Class B students. This group of people know the business and love to share their knowledge with you if you give them the chance. The program is long and I believe that scares a lot of people away but it is well worth the money you pay for it, which is much much less than those 3 and 4 week programs. When you are done you will have your CDL in your hand along with at least 1,000 miles of real world driving AND you will not be tied down to a specific company to pay off a loan for the school they force you to go to. You will be free to apply and work for any company of your choice without a contract when you graduate from this program.

When it comes to instruction, Laura and Mary are very easy-going and will make the class fun but there are times when they are serious and expect you to be as well. They give you plenty of time to practice for your tests so do not get discouraged if you do not catch on immediately. If there are multiple students work together as a team and encourage and help each other out, it will definitely pay off in the end and you might make some new friends!

If you show you are not catching on after a reasonable amount of time, which is about 3 to 5 weeks, they will have "the talk" with you. This could mean dropping to the Class B program or being withdrawn completely. Get your book work done early, Laura does allow you to work on it at home as well so get it done as soon as possible ... it means more practice time on the range!

During the 3rd to 5th week ( it all depends on the size of the class ) you will get a demo city drive around Tropicana Field in Downtown St. Petersburg, these streets WILL be included in your Road Test. Later on you will begin city/highway driving most likely with Mary, PAY ATTENTION THIS WILL BE YOUR ROAD TEST ROUTE!

Once you have passed all of your tests you will begin taking long trips and will be gone for the majority of the class time, again most likely with Mary. She will take out 1 or 2 trucks depending on the size of the class and she will be in constant contact via radio, they have their own radio system. They also have cameras in the road trucks. They do review the video so if you are not in the instructor truck do not break the rules because they will know. They do not allow you to consume food inside the trucks at all. Drinks are allowed, however it can only be a sealed cup or bottle ... invest in a lockable top bottle or use bottled water.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask here, message me or contact via the various methods on the Information tab on my profile here.

localguy65 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @directimports3 - this thread has good information on Pinellas Technical College ( formally PTEC - Pinellas Technical Education Center ) in St. Petersburg, FL

directimports3 and wfutch79 Thank this.
  5. FlatbedHopeful

FlatbedHopeful Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Hey there, couple questions.

Were classes mon-fri?
    Did you pay out of pocket?
    Did you fill out a FAFSA?

Sorry if you went over this, just skimmed through the 13 pages.

Thanks

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  6. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Classes run Monday to Thursday 7am to 2pm for 9 weeks, it is sometimes shorter it all depends on the size of your specific class.

They do limit their class size to 7.

As far as payment, I was self pay. I paid out of pocket. Unfortunately the program is not Pell Grant eligible but they do have some sort of financing thing. FAFSA will help with that I think.

If you end up going there you and Laura will get along great ... she is a former flatbedder. She is the lead instructor.

G13Tomcat and FlatbedHopeful Thank this.
  7. Barrhntr

Barrhntr Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Zephyrhills, Fl.
    Thanks for this thread. I hope to go to PTC starting in Jan. Like you trucking has always interested me. Will be retiring from my current job and I am going to give it a whirl. My wife grew up in Plant City just off I-4 and Wilder Rd. Will be following your adventure.

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  8. FlatbedHopeful

FlatbedHopeful Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Thank so much answering. Love the cost, totally affordable compared to others without being locked down to a certain company.

Two more questions:
    Did you have to take the TABE test
    Does the school have any recommendations for lodging that might have discounted rates for students? I am near Naples and we don't have a school like this near by.

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  9. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Oh really ... your wife grew up on Wilder Road? That is where I am from originally ... lived at the corner of Wilder and Williams Road. My dad and grandmother still live there. What is her maiden last name? See if she knows anyone with the last name Futch.

10. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    TABE is not required for the Commercial Driving Program. They MAY have a list of hotels in the area. Ashlei is the CDL secretary, you will be in constant contact with her throughout registration. You can ask her about it.

FlatbedHopeful Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Naples can be hard to find a good cdl job. Pretty sure these companies hire new cdl grads there though:
    Vero Logistics in Margate,FL.
    All My Sons Moving & Storage in Ft. Myers.

FlatbedHopeful Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.