PJ trailer owners beware

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Elg1968, May 19, 2020.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly do you think the repair job they'll do will be any better? I'd get somebody decent to grind/gouge and reweld and send them the bill.

4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    As far as I'm concerned, PJ is/was a top of the line steel trailer manufacturer in the gooseneck market..

If you're going to buy aluminum, Crossman is where it's at, IMHO..

That's straight bs. Y'all didn't abuse that wagon at all.. You want to see an abused hotshot..
    This is how I treated mine close to the end.. Actually served me quite well.. 21500lb on deck is the yellow concrete fourms stacked on. Orlando, FL to Camdem, NJ, so it was a good long ride.. I loaded 20k on it 100's of times.. All these are 18k or more. Want me to keep going..?

0404191238.jpg
    0423191202a.jpg
    20190624_154240.jpg

20190618_085724.jpg

5. Elg1968

Elg1968 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Houston,tx
    I offered to let our welders fix them and they reimburse our shop, another middle finger, x-ray crew coming tomorrow to check all the welds per our legal staff.

singlescrewshaker and clausland Thank this.
  6. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    I've got an older Loadtrail dump trailer we use here at the farm. I wasn't impressed at all with their welding job. Some starting cracking up towards the front as that's where the bottom of the hydraulic cylinder exerts pressure. Not sure what they used to weld with, MIG or 7014, but whatever it was, very shallow penetration. I fired up the welder and dug some 5/32 6011's in there, problem solved.

Bottom line though you shouldn't have welds breaking on a new trailer, that's BS. I've heard some good things regarding Kaufmann outta NC, some of the guys run them around here...

singlescrewshaker and Elg1968 Thank this.
  7. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    I have been away from this stuff a long time now. Used to be a couple great manufacturers in Mitchell, SD. They were Trail king and Dakota Mfg. Did some business with both of them. They built some heavy duty flat decks twenty years ago. Does anyone here know anything about them today. Realize the power of Google...wonder about the hands on guys opinion. Thanks.

8. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Trail king in Mitchell is mostly specialized trailers, lowboys, plastic tank haulers, they make stepdecks down in Yankton, don't know if they make regular flats or goosenecks.
    Dakota mfg is Traileze I believe, they're still building stuff there, actually just built a nice new building last year. They have a few outside welding shops around this area too.

9. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Good on you sir for not letting them take advantage. :thumbup: Alot of little outfits don't have the time or resources to do so. Could be why they think they can get away with offering a 3year warranty, & NOT standing behind their product.

If it's not to much trouble, please update to let us know how it goes. Thank you..

clausland and Ol'Shusquatch Thank this.
  10. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    Right, forgot they marketed under Traileze. Trail King was going after a segment where they could separate themselves from others. Smart marketing.
    Did Wilson make some flats? I recall they did some larger gooseneck stock trailers in Yankton and then the big stuff over in the Sioux. Nice quality.

11. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Yeah Wilson makes a few different trailers, livestock trailers in Yankton, I believe flats, steps, and big pots in Sioux City, and grain hoppers in Lennox, SD.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.