Placards

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by spindrift, Feb 24, 2019.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I never tried. I don't think anybody else did either. It was an old Standard Oil truck with a gravity fed spreader bar and it wasn't assigned to anybody. Everybody hated that truck.
    If you got in early or were just loitering around the yard they'd grab you and throw you on the water truck for a few rounds. It had a Hall-Scott gas engine that would bake the grease right out of your boots.
    If you hit a chuck-hole it would almost tear your arms off. You learned to keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel spokes, too.
    We finally sold it to some collector back east. Nobody was sorry to see it go.

Upinsmoke and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Thank you for correcting my obvious spelling error... LOL I didn't re-read it before posting. :p

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  4. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    BS, ask once if I had a spare; Dot guy wanted one replaced due to old age. Pulled my pile out to find the one I needed right in front of him, never said a thing.

Crude Truckin' and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have a driver who got a violation because of a placard not being legal, the comment on the paper work was this "should carry extra placards".

When I was hauling hazmat, I always asked for three more than I needed and had a pile of them when I got off the road, I think I had a box full of them. When I was inspected, which was a lot, I would have two extras sitting on the passenger seat with the paper work. Never had an officer ever say a thing.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    My Pappy said he would put a foot in the cab corner and pull with both hands...you didn't parallel park!

Upinsmoke and REO6205 Thank this.
  7. Great-Way

Great-Way Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2017
    BEAVERTON, MI
    In all my hazmat training classes over last ten years I was instructed that it is illegal to carry placards in the vehicle which are not specifically for your current load (there is an exception for the multi-placard displays). The reason being is if the vehicle is involved in an accident the only placards on the scene will be for the load. I believe if a DOT enforcer finds those "saved" placards, you will be cited for an improperly placarded load.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  8. Great-Way

Mar 24, 2017
    BEAVERTON, MI
    Whoever loads you is responsible for correct documents, packaging, and labeling. This includes all required placards. Never, never leave the facility where you are loaded without correct placards applied to your vehicle.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I keep them if I can get them off without destroying them, Bottomline if you take the load without it being properly ID'd it will end up being your responsibility. If it is not properly marked I will not back under the load till it is.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  10. Great-Way

Mar 24, 2017
    BEAVERTON, MI
    Update. I've been looking for the DOT-PHMSA legal definition of "carrying" vs "displaying".
    I remember reading about this exact topic years ago, and I came away from it remembering that I could get a citation for having an assortment. It may have been an enforcement "policy" from a particular state I was running through.
    Everyone should carry "replacement" placards.
    Our Hazmat Dept is looking into it to see if there is some legal precedence, interpretation, or policy.

spindrift Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OMG what a bunch of misinformation.

I asked MSP carrier enforcement about this Friday and the officer said there is no law, regulation or concern on the issue of carrying extra placards.

I referenced this thread when talking to the officer, and it was explained to me what their protocols are.

If there is an accident, they don't care what they find on the ground if it came out of the cab, they care what is on the paper work and what is stuck or selected on the truck/trailer that guides them.

These people are not stupid, they've gone through all of this several times and to think that there would be an issue with extras is just amazing.

The shipper is the only one who is responsible for placards, ALWAYS. Never accept a load without the shipper giving them to you, even if you have a pile of them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.