Plastic Dump Bed Liners

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by chrisut, Mar 15, 2013.

1. chrisut

chrisut Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I have a couple of dump trucks with Ox Bodies on them that need new floors. I have looked around and my options seem to be either:
    1. weld new steel floor in

or

2. get plastic floor liner.

I have never relined a floor, and the standard wisdom seems to be re-weld an 1/8" steel floor. The plastic liner guys seem pretty convincing that the liners would work. Also, I saw a truck with a metal framed plastic bed that seems to have held up.

I have a friend that has been dumptrucking forever and he says just re-weld the floor, but he has some steel he wants to sell me, so I am not sure that is the best route.

Any advice or opinions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigSam

BigSam Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Depends on what your hauling.... Sand and or Gravel no bigger than a #5, plastic might be worth looking into.
    Rip-Rap, trash, asphalt, go with re- doing floor with steel.
    I've always replaced with like materials. IE: IF it had a steel floor replace with steel floor.
    Have used a 'plastic' liner in my dump trailer, helps let commodity slide out easier.

4. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    We have one tandem at work that has one, oxbody as well. They load everything on it other then asphalt and it seems to do fine. Ill try to get a pic of it for you tomorrow.

5. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You are in luck, it happened to be sitting empty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I have to concur with not hauling larger than #5 with a bed liner in. What style of dump body do you have? Rock tub? Dirt box? Putting a liner in a rock tub to me seems a bit redundant, since that liner will keep you from hauling the larger materials which the rock tub allows you to load and haul. Another question... do equipment operators (namely, trackhoe and backhoe operators) ever have to scoop material out of your bed? If they do, it may be another reason to avoid the liner... it can be done, but a careless equipment operator who brings that bucket all the way to the floor will ruin that liner, quick.

7. Marc Letourneau

Marc Letourneau Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Worcester Massachusetts
    I have to agree, Steel tub trailers give you the flexibility to haul any material and also allows machines to dig out of the bodies. If you put a liner in it you will limit what you could do with the trailer.. Now as far as Aluminum trailers are concerned I think liners are necessary because most guys wont haul any rip rap that could dent the sides. Just my opinion

8. chrisut

chrisut Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2013
    the body on my truck is not a rock body just regular box with a badly washboarded floor. it has been used haul asphalt however so I am concerned it may not be the best thing for it. also, those photos look like the body has a pocket for the liner?

9. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Bed liners work fine with asphalt.. I ran an aluminum dirt box body hauling asphalt and stock material, and it did just fine. But I also remember road building hitting a serious slump, and the limitations of both having a liner in and having an aluminum body left me wanting for work at times, whereas with a steel dirt tub... I'm trying to remember. I think we would haul up to 1-1/2 inch stone.. I don't remember for sure if we ever hauled anything larger than that, but I don't think we did in a dirt box.. anything larger would go in a rock tub. The split gates had rock tubs, but they'd only let you haul up to 2 - 4 inch stone on account of the gate in the center of the bed. If you absolutely had to haul anything larger than that, it had to be a quantity small enough to fit into the back compartment... you'd lock the gate, and have the loader operator load it all in the back.
    I think those photos you see are of a rock tub body, probably with a high lift gate. There are some dump truck owners who'll never haul anything large enough to require a rock tub, but they get them anyhow so that they have the high lift gate option. And those might have liners put into them. If asphalt or asphalt/concrete stock material dried up, however, they'd take out the bed liners so that they could haul the larger material with their rock tubs.

10. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    i haul scrap metal in an aluminum frameless end dump.wow.it has become a continuious wave front to back and at times the material seems hesitant to come out.researched several liners but haven't decided on anything.
    i know several of you have posted websites for me at an earlier time but anyone have anything liner wise in mind for scrap metals? not hauling severe stuff but shred plate type material.
    thanks-

11. Marc Letourneau

Marc Letourneau Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Worcester Massachusetts
    One of our trailers has a quicksilver liner that can be used for paving, If that's the majority of your work then go for it. I just can't see limiting yourself to one type of application.. I like being able to go where the work is, And hauling what ever needs to be hauled.

Just my opinion

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.